Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Backyard Shop

Bloomfield, New Mexico (30 miles south of Colorado)

New Backyard Shop

Iíve been lurking on this forum for the past few years, but now that Iíve started to build a new shop in the backyard, Iíll post my progress here.

The new shop is going to be 24 x 30, with a 10 x 10 room for my wife, Beth, to use for sewing and as a weaving studio. That leaves me 620 sq. ft., and Iíll make do with that. The building is the standard stick construction, with a wooden floor over a fairly deep crawlspace. No water or bathroom, but itís only 50 feet to the house. Iím running 100 amp service to it, and will have both 110 and 220 volt outlets throughout. Lighting will be 8 Ė 10 4 foot dual tube LED fixtures. Iím also adding a five foot covered porch to the front 30 feet of the shop, so weíll have a cool spot to hang out on hot and or rainy summer days. The same contractor that built our house is getting the main structure up, and then I'll finish off the interior and do a lot of the electrical work. And all in my spare time, to boot!

Iíll try to keep up with the posting, and get as many photos uploads as I can. I hope you enjoy this, and please feel free to comment, pro or con. I am sure this will be a learning experience for me!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PA140082.jpg   PA140083.jpg   PA140084.jpg  

Thanks for sharing your build Dave! Sounds like a good plan with the porch to enjoy the outdoors too!

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

^^ what they said! (well, figuratively speaking)

Sounds like it will be a great space, that is a nice size of shop overall, the porch is a bonus.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word ďboo.Ē Ė Robert Brault

Looks like you've found plenty of rocks while digging the foundation...

Ought to end up with a nice sized shop.

Two caveats: 1. Even though it's only 50 feet away from the house, a bath/powder room will prove to be a good addition. My (no bath) shop is also only 50 feet from the house, and sometimes, when the urge hits, 50 feet can be a long ways!

2. Beware the 10 X 10 sewing room! My wife's quilting studio is 14 X 40, with a 'stash' overflow into another room. My shop is 26 X 32.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Rocks

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    Looks like you've found plenty of rocks while digging the foundation...

Ought to end up with a nice sized shop.

Two caveats: 1. Even though it's only 50 feet away from the house, a bath/powder room will prove to be a good addition. My (no bath) shop is also only 50 feet from the house, and sometimes, when the urge hits, 50 feet can be a long ways!

2. Beware the 10 X 10 sewing room! My wife's quilting studio is 14 X 40, with a 'stash' overflow into another room. My shop is 26 X 32.
    Thanks, Jim. We live next to the San Juan River, and the entire area is full of river rock. The contractor brought in truckloads of dirt, to build up the foundation area, and he says the rocks help lock the dirt together. Must work, because it's really hard to dig a hole of any size around here. And I grow many more rocks than veggies in my garden!

Everyone loves a good shop build thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    Haha, yes indeed... the overflow at our house is into three rooms (at various levels of "overflow") each of which is in the 10x10 range so hypothetically possible but..

On a similar note - are you considering adding a side room/partitioned areas for dust collection and compressor to isolate the noise (preferably on the other side from the sewing room for added harmony )

How high will the walls be? If you use attic trusses there will be a nice room over the shop for your wife to use and you will gain a bit more shop space.

What power tools do you own? What power tools do you anticipate obtaining?

For reference: My shop's inside dimensions are 24' 6" x 29' 6". There are several power tools I have not purchased because there is not really enough room to add anything. My shop does contain a 7' x 7' bathroom, it is part of the original house. It also contains FAU, Hot Water tank, Washer and Dryer, and did contain a 27" x 27" freezer which I removed to get the space. Myrna's sewing room and her office are inside of the house. There are NO cars, bicycles, motor cycles, lawn mowers, etc. in the shop.

The shop is cozy, however I am not really crowded. On the other hand there is definitely stuff I would do if I had more room. I think electricity is related to clamps; I just don't seem to have all I want (100 amp to shop). I have enough of both, but would like to have a bit more. I have a 10 amp, 220 volt dust collector that sees a pretty fair amount of use.

If you have not already done so, get free 1/4" per foot scale, paper cutouts of the tools that will be in the shop and play around with tool locations. Then your electric outlets will end up where you want them not behind the wood storage or some other, equally inconvenient place and you will know where your dust collection ducts will need to run (knowing this saves moving luminaires, fans, etc. in the future).

I STRONGLY suggest that you give a bedroom, den, or whatever to your wife's sewing ventures (Myrna got the family room and the front room became the family room). And, since you will be doing woodworking, you can make her cabinets for her sewing paraphphernalia and toss in a new sewing machine or serger (are you bankrupt yet?).

You are going to have a wonderful time with this venture. Good planing is part of the woodworking hobby; it really pays off in time, trouble and dollars spent.

Enjoy,
    JimB
    Last edited by Jim C Bradley; 10-16-2015 at 12:38 AM.
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Ryan- What I’m planning for the air compressor and dust collector is an acoustical “screen” to help muffle the noise. I can always add a “lean-to” on the outside of the shop if necessary.

Ted - Walls are going to be 10 ft. The building has a 7 / 12 pitch, required by the HOA, so I’m having the trusses engineered to allow as much open space as possible. Beth’s studio will mainly house her loom, and some overflow sewing stuff. She already has one bedroom full of her quilting and her sewing machines, along with her home office. The studio will be totally sealed off from the shop, with a separate entry door. I’m going to rough in a door frame in one of the interior walls, just in case we decide to use the room for something else in the future.

Jim – Let’s see… Equipment includes contractor style table saw (soon to be replaced with a Grizzly G1023RLWX); a 10” radial arm saw, 6” jointer, 13” planner, router table, belt/disk sander, small lathe, 2 HP dust collector, and all of the requisite work benches, cabinets, etc. Hope to get a larger lathe, and perhaps a shaper.