Windmills for Rob

glenn bradley

In a post awhile back Rob was prompted to ask about a section of highway between Palm Springs and the area where I live. He mentioned the generator windmills. I was through that area early this morning and so stopped by the side of the road and snapped a few pics. The pictures do not do the scope of this deployment justice; there are acres of the things.

First off, it was a beautiful morning:

Heck-2015-10-16 (4).jpg

and here's some of the windmills:

Heck-2015-10-16 (11).jpgHeck-2015-10-16 (15).jpgHeck-2015-10-16 (16).jpgHeck-2015-10-16 (19).jpgwindmill pic from Tim-sm.jpg

Last edited:
What are those cones around a few of them in that one picture?

I've never seen that type before.

Aye, that's what pulled us off the freeway to have a look. There are three up and another being erected just out of frame. They were quite far away and this is at maximum zoom on my cell phone so not a good pic. I am looking for info on this design.

This is the oldest windmill farm in the U.S. and has over 2700 windmills as of a couple of years ago. IIRC, the hub and gearbox for the larger models where the wings attach weigh in at 15 tons and more. The big ones are quite impressive from a few hundred yards. I have no idea what the wing tip air speed is but, they're moving!!!

Much better images than I could get from the road here.

Fun video for those interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7sMLkDJIeU

Last edited:
They look like pretty small windmills. I wonder if that is some kind of contraption to reduce bird kills?

They look like pretty small windmills. I wonder if that is some kind of contraption to reduce bird kills?

The ones with the nacelles are about 130 feet tall. The bird kill figures could be interesting . . . this is California and no one has established a Committee for the Preservation of Windmill Farm Fowls yet so I can't imagine its a very high number :rofl:

I've driven that stretch of road a number of time. You're right...photos can't capture the scope and feel of the place. I've gotten dizzy driving through there, just from all the rotating objects in my central and peripheral vision.

...this is California and no one has established a Committee for the Preservation of Windmill Farm Fowls yet so I can't imagine its a very high number :rofl:

You might be surprised on both points. I strongly suspect there's a group (or thirty) in California that pushes to shut down wind farms due to bird kills. Nationwide, the estimates (taken with the appropriate grain of salt) range from tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands annually.

You might be surprised on both points. I strongly suspect there's a group (or thirty) in California that pushes to shut down wind farms due to bird kills. Nationwide, the estimates (taken with the appropriate grain of salt) range from tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands annually.

Well someone has to take over for all the coyotes we've made homeless by paving over the desert valley and pumping in all the water ;-)

Thanks Glenn. Yup that's the road I travelled on from Palm Dessert shopping center back to LA.
The scenes remind one of scene from something like "War of the Worlds". Lol

I like your sense of humor on the wind farm fouls thank goodness I did not have coffee in my mouth reading that. I laughed so much I nearly cried.
Vaughn then poured gas on my laugh and I did cry.
You gotta have a sense of humor to live in CA I think.
Thanks for the pics Glenn nice of u to remember and stop to take em.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk