Dust Boot Addition

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
For the longest time I"ve wanted to get a dust boot on my cnc, but since I need it to be removable for swapping bits, I had a hard time figure out a way to make that happen. Well with the recent addition of the weaver scope rail for adding on the laser, I got an idea.

So a week or so ago I ordered some brush strips off ebay, in 1" , 2" , and 3" sizes. The strips are 3/16" wide at the metal banding that holds the strips. I wanted to do a friction fit into the boots plate. So here is the design I came up with.
DustBoot.jpg

Using my HF Ring roller I rolled the strip brush to match the radius' of the plate
2015-10-17 11.27.05.jpg 2015-10-17 11.26.57.jpg 2015-10-17 11.32.07.jpg
Next I milled out the plate, all done with a 1/8" end mill, however I think I mis-measured the straight areas. :rolleyes:
2015-10-17 12.02.32.jpg

No problem, I just cut the straight areas out and re-used the curved parts
2015-10-17 12.07.23.jpg

Well, the first attempt, the exact 3/16" groove was a bit tight and blew out the mdf, so remilled a new plate with a little larger groove for it, also thickened the outer wall and made the vacuum hose hole a little larger (which was needed).
2015-10-17 12.19.47.jpg

Using a straight screwdriver and hammer I tapped the brush into the groove, was a snug fit, but didn't split this time
2015-10-17 13.03.26.jpg

Next I added a support with the scope mount. I used three 3" screws to fasten the support and give it rigidity.
2015-10-17 13.31.37.jpg

Lastly, I connected up to my DC.
2015-10-17 13.34.04.jpg

Nicely done!!

The ability to reach your collet with these things is paramount. Great solution! Legacy uses a ring with RE magnets around 'em and it just snaps into place -- i though that was clever, too.

Nicely done!!

The ability to reach your collet with these things is paramount. Great solution! Legacy uses a ring with RE magnets around 'em and it just snaps into place -- i though that was clever, too.

I've had some magnets on order, but since I use a rotozip, the shaft doesn't protrude as far as some other routers. I'm going to route out another base and use the 1" strips on it. With the weaver rail I can adjust the boot up and down as needed, so those two should fit my needs.

One thing I thought I'd mention, is how much quieter things run with the boot in place, especially when I can walk away and go get some work done in the office while it runs.;) :) Actually the spindle noise and the vacuum noise was muffled quite a bit by the dust boot.

One thing I thought I'd mention, is how much quieter things run with the boot in place, especially when I can walk away and go get some work done in the office while it runs.;) :) Actually the spindle noise and the vacuum noise was muffled quite a bit by the dust boot.

How long of a cable are you using to run it from your computer? I'm assuming the computer is in the office and the CNC is in the shop?

How long of a cable are you using to run it from your computer? I'm assuming the computer is in the office and the CNC is in the shop?

CNC is just outside the office, but it's on it's own computer in the shop. I do plan to move that computer into the office, but will still be able to get by with a 6' cable.

I'll jump in here with my situation. I've had a desktop PC in my shop for years. It's the other side of a wall and a few feet down from my CNC. I'm using a 12' USB extension cable, a USB switch box, and a 3' cable from my PC to the Arduino I/O.

I'll jump in here with my situation. I've had a desktop PC in my shop for years. It's the other side of a wall and a few feet down from my CNC. I'm using a 12' USB extension cable, a USB switch box, and a 3' cable from my PC to the Arduino I/O.

Ditto this ... i use cheap desktops so it really doesn't bother me to "risk" them -- i've had an old laptop out there for years now and it's been fine. The CNC desktop is also fine - - i ain't shoving dust into their intakes, but i ain't really doing much to keep it out, either. I will clean the desktop soon, just because it's been a few years and i am curious.

Very helpful. Thanks Bill!

I've had some magnets on order, but since I use a rotozip, the shaft doesn't protrude as far as some other routers. I'm going to route out another base and use the 1" strips on it. With the weaver rail I can adjust the boot up and down as needed, so those two should fit my needs.

So what size bits will a roto zip accept? 1/8 and 1/4?
Thanks