More Red Stuff from the Blonde Guy

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
This is red ironbark eucalyptus, about 3 3/4" tall and 4 3/4" wide. Yet another piece from a tree removed from my office, this has been a fun bunch of wood to turn, as every piece seems to have something pretty to show in the grain. Sanded to 600 grit, given several coats of Formby's Tung Oil Finish (dust nubbies removed with with a gray Scotch Brite pad in between coats), buffed with tripoli and white diamond compounds, then hand-buffed with Renaissance Wax. The pictures don't really show the subtle chatoyance in the red and yellow tones. The large chunk of sapwood is pretty boring on its own, but I think it provides a nice contrast that helps show off the form.

HF15 - 11 800.jpg HF15 - 17 800.jpg HF15 - 03 800.jpg HF15 - 20 800.jpg

Finger-pointing and snickering encouraged. :p

One word for you...........

WoW ;) :D

Super nice!!

How long are you letting your HFs dry after they have come out of the DNA?

Cheers!
Thanks for the compliments. ;) I've been drying things about 3 or more weeks. I've done a couple a bit sooner, but those were lighter, punkier woods that seemed to dry more quickly.

While I'm back posting so soon, I want to do a survey...which pic looks better, less or more background?

Less:

HF15 - 08 800.jpg

More:

HF15 - 07 800.jpg

Let me know your opinions, guys and gals...

The second pic, more background.

On those pics, there is an area that looks like a shadow............

blonde_guy_shadow.jpg

........... looks kind of like a flat spot, don't think it is, just sort of looks like it.......

What are you using for your pics, some kind of photo tent?

Cheers!

you`ve got the hang of this spinnin` stuff vaughn!
i agree with stu on slightly more backround, seems to show off the shape better.

Vaughn my man............A definitely beautiful HF! You sure have come a long way in a short time with your turning! Well done!

I'm with the others...2nd photo...

vaughn your supposed leave us something to pick apart :huh: you didnt:D looks great and i also agree with the more background we here are always having to crop things and more is always better than less better balance..

The second pic, more background.

On those pics, there is an area that looks like a shadow............

View attachment 8248

........... looks kind of like a flat spot, don't think it is, just sort of looks like it.......

What are you using for your pics, some kind of photo tent?

Cheers!
Yeppers Stu, that flat-looking spot is the reflected darkness of my living room. It's one of the things that can happen with the photo tent, especially with glossy, darker pieces. I've got another panel for the tent that's supposed to help reduce that reflection...it's basically a 6th side for the cube, with a slit in it to accomodate the camera lens. I'll probably give that a try on the next one.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. :)

Gee, some day I hope to make such nice looking bowls. Really good looking wood. I like the color and gain. Nice pics also. I too like the 2nd pic best, especially when you enlarge it. You've got that shape down to an art. Very nice.

Lovely piece, Vaughn. I need some pointers on the photo tent--gotta get David to make me one!

I too like the second picture!!
Thanks, Nancy. For the tent, I'm using a "light cube" I got on eBay. If I have time tonight I'll take a few pics of it in action, and put up a post describing what I've learned with it so far.