Import Export

Stuart Ablett

Well, I've just started a new chapter in my business, I've gone ahead and sunk my money from the last bike I sold into some import export stuff.

I'll be importing 500 18" F-style bar clamps..........

f-style_clamps.jpg
....these are not 18", but this style, they will also have the plastic caps on both of the jaws, the caps will be thicker and colored red.

For the first order, $500 of these are coming my way.

The other thing is these cigar scissors..........

cigarscissor1.jpg
.......the top larger ones, I'll sell some to the liquor shop, but most I'll sell to a glass working school down South a bit, they contacted us last year and bought all of my stock of these scissors, they go through several hundred every few months, so I'll be supplying them. For these, 620 will be coming my way.

I'd offer you guys a good deal on clamps, but shipping would be killer :D

Wish me luck, as I strike out on my own!

Cheers!

Well, the clamps have landed! :D

stack_of_boxes.jpg
If you were wondering what 500 boxed up 18" woodworking "F" clamps look like, wonder no more! :wave:

stack_of_boxes_hole.jpg
and the hole I hand bogged them down into, with the help of my 13 year old daughter!

The other two smaller boxes are the cigar cutters, 320 in each box ......:eek:

Here is a shot of ten clamps..........

ten_clamps.jpg
I need to take a different pic.....

max_open.jpg
Max opening is about 45 cm or 18"

one_clamp_head.jpg
A shot of the clamp head.

Not the best clamps out there, but I'll be selling them cheap enough.

comparison_heads.jpg
The yellow tipped clamp is one I bought here on auction, it is only a 12" clamp, for ten, they want 6480 yen, I bought 10, they are not bad clamps at all, but for me, I'll be selling ten 18" clamps for a lot less, I'd really like to sell them quickly.

Well, wish me luck! :wave:

Last edited:
Stu, I count only 50 boxes. Where are the rest of the boxes? Don't all clamps ship one per box like we get from Amazon?

:D :D :D

Way to go on the new venture!

Interesting stuff Stu. How are you planning on marketing the clamps?? I assume that the average liquor store customer or cigar smoker is not a big buyer of 18" clamps ?? (Although the cigar cigars are obviously a different matter)

I have often thought that I should try and find a "bought in" product to expand my range that would appeal to my existing customer set but have never come up with a clear idea of what , nor would I have a clue where to go looking for suppliers.

Ian, I'm going to use Yahoo auctions (Like E-bay) to start up, build a homepage and go from there, neve know, might make me some money :dunno:

Cheers guys!:wave:

Stu,

You could use some "capital" from your magazine appearance to market the clamps.

Such as:
Stu Ablett, who's work was featured in DoPa Ex. Issue xx, recomends these clamps!

Or

Stu Ablett, one of DoPa Ex's featured craftsman, uses these clamps!

I'm not sure how this translates into Japanese, its not a bad way to go in English.;) If it works feel free to send me a consulting fee! :D