Spalted Cherry Bowls

Jeff Bower

I was looking for some maple to turn this past weekend and uncovered a cherry log I forgot about that was buried under leaves and other logs for about 2yrs. It looked great when I first cut it, but man once I turned it...I was excited. The spalting is incredible!! It reminded me of marble so I decided to make a couple of thicker bowls. The one with the smaller bowl area is just over 10" and about 3.5" tall...the other one is just over 9" and about 4.5" tall. The wife wants one for the dining table and the other will be up for sale soon.

Attachments

• IMG_20151025_163250.jpg
    IMG_20151025_163250.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20151025_154855.jpg
    IMG_20151025_154855.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20151025_145753.jpg
    IMG_20151025_145753.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 41
wow that's some spalting all right!! Really cool effect.

Did you do anything to stabilize it? It looks far enough along it might have been a bit punky (although I know cherry sometimes holds up even when it looks soft)?

Thanks guys! :thumb: I've got one more blank of it to turn tonight I hope.

wow that's some spalting all right!! Really cool effect.

Did you do anything to stabilize it? It looks far enough along it might have been a bit punky (although I know cherry sometimes holds up even when it looks soft)?

I didn't do anything to stabilize it. It was wet, and some of the sap wood was punky, but cleaned up pretty well anyway. When I turn thick bowls like this I usually let nature take it's course. Cracks add character IMO. If it cracks to much, the rims are flat so adding a small butterfly might work well too!

nice work, nice wood!

Jeff,

Those are some nice looking bowls and nice wood too. With the really wide rims to show off the wood I couldn't help thinking this would be a nice wood to turn an offset bowl in or even multiples. Beautimus whatever you do with it though. Well turned!

Hu