Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't you wish our brains had a memory erase button?

Don't you wish our brains had a memory erase button?

Well i was wondering if anyone else is living with this issue in some or other form. In my view its a mental health issue but heck i have no idea what triggers it.

For some weeks now for a guy that sleeps like a log, i have been waking at the oddest times in the night and then reliving specific past period of life.

Just so happens this has been the time when we got drafted back in SA.

I cannot stand it, I don't seem to be able to shut it off either and i don't have any "skeletons in my cupboard" either. But man last night i was going through the whole motion of the day we (myself and two friends) got driven down to the station where we were told to muster and boarded a train to be taken off to a military base for training and onward all the way through 18 months. When i say detail I recalled the sandwiches we were given in brown paper bags before embarking. And that is only a small part of the stuff going through my head. The thing that gets me is the incredible detail with which i can recall it all. I mean down to each piece of kit we were issued and the stores running out of my size shirt and having to wear what was called then a bush jacket for weeks on end in place of a shirt.

Here i am battling to remember important things I need to when i need to, yet this "crap" excuse the french of no value to me, i can recall as if it happened yesterday in such darn visual detail i cannot believe it. I tried the "watch tv to change the topic in my head" stunt but it has not worked. Once morning comes and i get on with my routine I have no issues. And no i am not dreaming when i do this i am wide awake.

My Dad used to do a lot of reminiscing about his time in the Navy but for him i always felt i could understand the reasons why, it was the bulk and best part of his youth and a most important part of his life. NOT so for me. I was neither for nor against, i tried to make the most of it and had a positive attitude towards making the most of it and did. I don't persistently talk to my kids about it.

So any of you have any ideas what causes this.

If only we had an erase button where we could simply wipe the hard drive clean and move on.

Are we programmed to relive our entire life in ever increasing detail as we get older? Can anyone else relate to this?
    cheers

I often lie awake at nmight remembering every stupid thing I've done from high school onwards. I haven't found much that can shut the voices up. I have had some success with counting my breaths with great concentration, and the old jedi mind trick of trying to empty your mind completely. Sometimes it helps. If it gets really bad, I can get my doctor to prescribe sleeping pills.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

I guess I'm a little luck here... I have few memories of my childhood, youth or military experience.... ever so often something might happen that will trigger a memory, but for the most part, not much remembered. I've never been one to live much in the past anyway.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Tulk View Post
    ....and the old jedi mind trick of trying to empty your mind completely.....
    Careful. If you do it too much it runs 24/7 (DAMHIKT)

When things from the past come to the surface as you describe, I'll let them linger for a moment maybe. Then, I apply a simple adage: You can't change history, but you sure don't have to repeat it! Next, I go back to memories of the first girl I ever 'really' kissed. Then, I go back to sleep.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold View Post
    Next, I go back to memories of the first girl I ever 'really' kissed. Then, I go back to sleep.
    Until your wife slaps you for kissing someone else in your dreams. ;-)

Funny, I get that from time to time, usually just means my brain is telling me I need to get up and go pee.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

My best strategy is to start noodling details on some new project then I can lay awake all night thinking about that instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    Funny, I get that from time to time, usually just means my brain is telling me I need to get up and go pee.
    I'm with Darren on this one
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Yeah, I go through the remembering thing also. Sometimes keeping me awake. It is called anxiety and there are helps for that sort of stuff. There is no shame in talking to the doctor and taking meds for it. Trust me - that stuff helps and it does NOT turn you into a walking zombie. I also like going for walks alone and in solitude - NO headphones.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Voisine View Post
    ... I also like going for walks alone and in solitude ...
    Hmmmmmmmmm..........
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station