Finally Completing My First Guitar

Jason Beam

I built this guitar back in 2010 and once the strings went on, I never got around to actually finishing the final pieces. The truss rod access cover plate was made up at the time i built it but never mounted so i try a few ways of getting it fastened. Another problem was that the finish got scratched by the low E string when i put the first ones on it - and so I take that out and begin refinishing the headstock plate after reminding myself (the hard way) how the tuning machines were installed. Thanks for watching!!

To conclude this project, I started out trying to finish the headstock with shellac - it would've worked fine if I wasn't so impatient. But in the end, I decided to see how well I could polish the ebony bare and in the end I was actually very pleased with the sheen I got from it. Mounting the truss rod cover was pretty basic and then I set about the most important unfinished task on this guitar: polishing the nut. It was really sharp and jagged and much too tall (the slots were very deep). Once I polished the nut it was time to string it up again and play it. Still like how it sounds! Thanks for watching! :D

Thank you, ted! I appreciate that :)

I did swtich it out to some strings better suited for it - as the neck settled in, the unwound G really started sounding like a sitar! :p