Ted's 2015 Swap Project

Ted Calver

Staff member
Things get busy next week, so the procrastination has to stop. I managed to find the lathe and the last of my good cherry and made some shavings. This blank has been hiding in the attic for at least ten years and is harder than a rock. Jammed it against the open jaws of the chuck and trued up the outside and the tennon. Just had to patch a few worm holes and then sanded to 320.
Bowl 005.jpgBowl 017.jpgBowl 014.jpg
Turned around and locked into the chuck, using head stock support as long possible. Free at last. Now I can use the high angle bowl gouge and a heavy drop nose scraper to smooth off the inside bottom and the transition. Sanded to 320 and ready to finish off the tennon/bottom.
Bowl 019.jpgBowl 021.jpg

Off comes the chuck, with the bowl still attached and onto the adapter that lets me mount the chuck on the tail stock. This is one of the first accessories I ever bought...and one of the best. I keep it on the tail stock all the time to keep that sharp point from dinging my elbow. The vacuum chuck will hold the bowl while the tennon and bottom get finished. All sanded to 320, signed and slathered with Doctor's Woodshop Walnut Finishing Oil. When it dries overnight I will coat it with a beeswax/walnut oil mixture and it will be ready to send.

Bowl 024.jpgBowl 028.jpgBowl 027.jpgBowl 029.jpgBowl 033.jpg

Last edited:
Before I met Ted and actually watched him turn a bowl in my shop with my lathe I would have looked at those pictures and thought, "yeah, a week's worth of work there buddy". But I'll tell you from experience, that guy is a bowl turning machine!!!! Ted, excellent bowl again! Geez, the captain of procrastination has finished, guess it is really time for me to get my swap project completed.

No flies on you Ted bowl looks terrific, you sure dont mess around once you get going. Guess with all those sugar snacks you get from the "snack lady" you get pretty turned up. ;):rofl: Looking forward to seeing the finished item all buffed up. Someone is going to be happy. :thumb:

Just thinking about it.....Vaughn must be feeling kinda melancholy by now seeing your " big yella" in the pictures and having been away from his for so long.