SKETCHUP Tutorial -- Fluting Flatwork

Dave Richards

This technique can be used for a number of other things, too. For example stopped chamfers, chamfers ending in lamb's tongues, drilled holes (especially useful for that if you want a countersunk hole), etc.

1. Draw the positive version of the fluting. I decided this would be cut using a 1/2" core box router bit. I started with a vertical rectangle located over the centerline of the flute. I drew it 1/2" high. This was a convenient dimension. The side of this shape will be used as a path for Follow Me and the first segment of the path must be perpendicular to the profile for Follow Me to work properly. I drew radii at the two lower corners of the rectangle to the radius of bit.

2. Then I used Push/Pull to pull the faces out 1/4" from the centerline. I drew a 1/4" radius arc on one end.

3. I selected the edges that need to have the radius and ran Follow Me. This actually gets done once for each side because the profile is really two 1/4 arcs.

4. I moved the profile down into the work. Note there is no black line at the intersection of the sides of the profile and the face of the work. I don't show it but the next step, while the profile is still selected is to run Intersect with model from the Context menu (RMB).

5. Finally, I deleted what I didn't need and reversed the face iinside the flute. It was inisde the profile so it was the inside face.

flutes1.jpg

Note: I scaled the model up by a factor of 100 before running the Follow Me operations. There are some tiny faces generated by the arcs and Follow Me that are much easier to deal with at a larger size. In this case they weren't really obvious so they could have probably been ignored.

By the way, when making more than one flute, just make copies of the positive and resize them as needed.

One more time for the slow ones

Dave, I am trying to add fluting to a design I am working on, and I can't seem to get the follow me tool to do what I want it to correctly in Step 3.

Can you please explain this in more detail?

Thanks!

Mathew,

Welcome to FWW.

The process for step three is as follows. Select the short vertical edges as well as the radii for the corners and the long edge at the bottom using Ctrl+Select. You'll end up with the selection looking like a very wide U in this case. Then get the Follow Me tool and click on the profile formed at the top corner by the arc and two short line segments.

An easier way to select the edges is to double click on that long side face. This selects the face and all the bounding edges. Then, while holding the Shift key, click on the face and the two lines that make up the top edge. This will deselect those entities. There are two line segments along the top because the end of the profile arc cut the edge into two. You have to deselect both parts.

I hope that helps.

Dave

Excellent stuff, Dave!

Intersect is one of my latest tricks. I use it a lot now for matching already drawn angles and such. The "erase what i don't need" step took a little getting used to. If you switch to 'wireframe' view, i have found it easier to find all the little pieces I need to pull out. A clean monitor is essential for spotting those little specks sometimes!!!

:D

Thanks Dave!

Dave, again you have come through for me! Your explanation helped and I am now able to duplicate your flutes without looking at your instructions, so I hope it has finally sunk in!