Name plate

A friend asked if I could make a name plate for his wife's desk out of wood. He showed me a couple of examples that he liked. I said I'd give it a go. This is the first time I have ever used a scroll saw. My FIL gave me one about 8 years ago and I stuck it in a cabinet and never fooled with it until today. I do realize now why he gave it to me. It's not a very good one! I only had one blade and it wasn't very sharp. I broke it once, but lucky for me it broke right at the very end. Here's my attempt at cutting out letters and the piece of wood they'll be glued to. The aren't as rough as they look I sanded them and left the sanding dust. Be gentile my friends!
april.jpg

Y'know they look pretty good to me, the shape is good and nice and even - lots better than my first attempts (or second or.. well yeah maybe scroll saw isn't my thing).

If you take a needle file or similar and round over the edges a little it hides a lot of the irregularities as well :D

Here it is with one coat of finish on, it's not perfect, but it'll do. I also changed the wood. I found this piece of spalted tulip poplar that was already planed to 5/8 so I decided to go with it.

finished.jpg

I must say that the resemblance between the spalted tulip poplar and the maple is more striking than I'd have thought. I don't generally see a lot of tulip poplar up here (or at least it costs closer to maple than makes it interesting when it does) so that was a bit of a surprise as most of what I've seen is the moderately unattractive green stuff. This on the other hand is quite nice indeed.

The letters look good on it as well! :thumb:

ryan who is procrastinating on trying to rewrite a particularly hairy bit of SQL to make it more performant..