Thread: Foley Automatic Saw Filer

Foley Automatic Saw Filer

Hey all,

I have been on the hunt at the local auctions, and I have come up with some good stuff. Today I picked up an item I won, a Foley Automatic Saw Filer with handsaw attachments. Very interesting tool, and for the price I paid I just couldn't let it go. I have been interested in sharpening my handsaws, that is, doing it myself. Does anyone have experience with one of these machines? Thanks!

- Hutch
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Foley 1.JPG   Foley 2.JPG   Foley 3.JPG  

Haven't yet had the pleasure.

I hope it came with the carrier and ratchet bars (I think I see the carrier on the ground.. not seeing ratchet bars but maybe one is on the machine)?
    http://positiverake.com/the-missing-...ley-retoother/

My rough understanding is that they make a lot of sense if you're doing a lot of saws (like a sharpening service) or are re-toothing (and have a re-toother) but for one or two the setup overhead makes them somewhat unwieldy. I've done a small amount of hand filing and thus far my personal experience is that rip saws are pretty easy but crosscut takes a bit more practice (getting the compound angles right is a bit of a trick) but it still doable. Even the first couple I did were a lot better once done than before (well the FIRST couple took a couple of tries but the couple after that were entirely usable).

Yeah, that's kinda what I figured. It was pretty cheap so even if I don't really use it a lot or get into sharpening everyone else's handsaws then it's not much of a loss. Also, I can't resist cool old machines. As for the ratchet bars, I don't think this machine requires them. This is a good video showing its operation just using the saw's teeth to advance the blade.

- Hutch
    Last edited by Matt Hutchinson; 11-07-2015 at 01:36 AM.

Oh interesting, right you are - I had only vaguely remembered that the Foley machines were often missing a critical part and was looking up which bit it was, looks like the filer is less of a problem than the toother in that regard.

Here's the manual (which I'm sure you've already found.. but for the record): http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/318/4380.pdf

It sounds like the 387 is a bit touchy about having the tooth spacing spot on and regular so not so good for progressive saws (which I haven't been able to hand file accurately either so.. yeah) although if the progression is deterministic you could stop the machine and set the advance for each section of the blade I suppose.

On the usefulness to be clear I was saying that they probably weren't real practical for intermittent use not that I wouldn't want one if the opportunity popped up so I'm fully on board with you here