Another Shop made 12" disk sander

Alex Reid

Thanks to Allan for his post back in December on making his shop made 12" disk sander. Allan's post was very inspirational (and I badly needed a better disc sander). Here is my result.

The faceplate consists of a primary (attached to the pulley) and a secondary faceplate (attached to the primary). The pulley has a 2" x 1/2" recess on the face so I turned a tenon on the primary faceplate and recessed the pulley into the primary faceplate. This was epoxied and bolted together with 5mm countersink bolts. The secondary faceplate is also recessed mainly to keep it centered as it bolts on and off with 6mm countersink bolts.

Truing up the secondary faceplate was done with the whole thing together. I used a turning chisel and 12" long jointed stock to finish sand. The 12" jointed stock is used end-to-end on the faceplate keeping even pressure on it while you sand both sides (the disk going down and coming up) at the same time. This will true up a faceplate without possibility of convex or cancave dishing. I then varnished the secondary faceplate for a clean, smooth surface to take the disk.

It's a dandy little unit with a 1/2Hp. The motor cost me about 50.00 with the switch and I used 3/4" ply.

Once again thanks to Allan for his original post.

Attachments

• DS1.jpg
    DS1.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 85
  • DS2.jpg
    DS2.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 78
  • DS3.jpg
    DS3.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 68
Very nice, Alex. :thumb: How much adjustment do you have in the table? Can it be set at 45 degrees? I've got an old 60s era (I think) Craftsman motor that would be a perfect candidate for this type of thing. It's already got a 10" or so steel abrasive wheel on it (with something ridiculous like 32 grit diamond-like abrasive). I've considered mounting another wheel on it and making a stand and table similar to yours and Allen's. Just what I need...another project. :p

Dang it Alex, you beat me to it :D :thumb:

Looks good, did you plan for DC of any sort?

I've got to bump that one up on my list of things to do.

I'm curious about the amount of adjustment you have as well.

Cheers!

Alex,

You did a great job on that!!!! It is suprising how good those work for almost nothing. I never did work on increasing the angle of the table. Now that I see yours, with the way that you mounted the table, it seems like that a guy could put a t track along the base and slide the table attachment toward the back to increase the angle and still keep the table close to the faceplate. I suppose that it would require a modification to the box to let it slope down more when it was moved forward.

Allen

PS Now that I look at it closer it might work with little or no alteration. I just haven't needed to tilt mine yet.

Last edited:
.... Nice job indeed, Alex. You and Allan will be at the top of your class, well done :thumb:.

Thanks to Allan for his post back in December on making his shop made 12" disk sander. Allan's post was very inspirational (and I badly needed a better disc sander). Here is my result.

The faceplate consists of a primary (attached to the pulley) and a secondary faceplate (attached to the primary). The pulley has a 2" x 1/2" recess on the face so I turned a tenon on the primary faceplate and recessed the pulley into the primary faceplate. This was epoxied and bolted together with 5mm countersink bolts. The secondary faceplate is also recessed mainly to keep it centered as it bolts on and off with 6mm countersink bolts.

Truing up the secondary faceplate was done with the whole thing together. I used a turning chisel and 12" long jointed stock to finish sand. The 12" jointed stock is used end-to-end on the faceplate keeping even pressure on it while you sand both sides (the disk going down and coming up) at the same time. This will true up a faceplate without possibility of convex or cancave dishing. I then varnished the secondary faceplate for a clean, smooth surface to take the disk.

It's a dandy little unit with a 1/2Hp. The motor cost me about 50.00 with the switch and I used 3/4" ply.

Once again thanks to Allan for his original post.

Thanks guys for all the comments. Yes the table has lots of adjustment but it moves too far from the disc when it is at 45 degrees. I still have some tweaking to do on that. However as Allen said I also have never used the table at an angle (on my old one) so I may just keep this one at 90 degrees and do 45ers with a miter guage. Also it won't be too difficult to put a DC port on the side as there is plenty of space near the back corner just behind the wheel. Jim this was a new motor from a dealer on the auction site here. You guys do E-bay, we do Yahoo auction.