Grizzly TS Insert

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned on my Delta TS insert thread, I offered to make up some inserts for my coworker's Grizzly 1023 table saw. Note the little nubs next to the set screws. These are for him to file/sand down for a tighter fit. I may end up adding some to both sides and the front to allow for a more custom fit.
2015-11-08 16.20.45.jpg2015-11-08 16.32.37.jpg

I used the band saw to cut off the top half of the nub on the back, this keeps the back of the plate from lifting when the blade is in contact with it.
2015-11-08 16.40.40.jpg

Looks good, Darren. You did something I'll have to add to my layout for my Grizzly 691. I hadn't thought about the tab at the rear of the insert, but I think I'll try to set it up for cutting on my CNC. Also, I use 1/2" MDF for my inserts but I leave it solid - no cutout like you did in the blade area - but might revisit that as well.

Thanks Bill. I'm routing the bottom side only, so flipping the work to cut out the space for that nub on the back just isn't worth it, takes a couple of seconds on the band saw.

Thanks Bill. I'm routing the bottom side only, so flipping the work to cut out the space for that nub on the back just isn't worth it, takes a couple of seconds on the band saw.

Makes good sense!

I've been cutting mine from the top since I leave it full thickness. I cut the slot for the riving knife on the CNC but do the blade cut on the table saw so I have a perfect match. I cut the whole insert using a 1/8" two flute bit.

Agree. Making your own is simple with a band saw. Getting right thickness is most important part of the project. Without having a planer it could be difficult. But, with, eezzy peezy.