Bandsaw Dust Colletion Mod - Still Working

glenn bradley

This is mostly a repeat but, projects being what they have been I have kept the same resaw blade on my 17" saw for a little over a year (is that even possible!?!). I get used to it when I am changing blades frequently but, as I said, it has been a while so when I opened the lower cabinet and saw this:

G0513X-DC-mod 006 (5).jpg

I was very pleased . . . that's all that got into the lower area after a year of use!?!

The mods I made are not very different than a lot of folks. Add collection under the table; mine is a simple assembly with a couple of magnets to keep it in place.

G0513X-DC-mod 006 (1).jpgG0513X-DC-mod 006 (2).jpgG0513X-DC-mod 006 (3).jpg

I also added a throat restrictor just below the table, a second wheel brush and covered over the lower hole.

G0513X-DC-mod 006 (4).jpg

My lower hole cover is a piece of sheet magnet that used to come with some items we buy for work. We routinely toss them out so I grabbed some.

G0513X-DC-mod 006 (6).jpg

That is a testament to how well it works. My Bandsaw is probably the worst dust thrower in the entire shop at this point.

I need to look into doing this. Mine is a simple hole in the front door, and it does not work that great.

Thanks Glenn!

That's a great idea. I agree with Brent, my BS produces quite a bit more dust than just about any other saw I have, would be good to catch it at the source if possible.

I think your under-table "scoop" plays a major role in how much makes it into the bottom of the cabinet. Whatever it is you're doing, it's obviously working very well. :thumb:

I agree, I have to do this to mine. Does any dust fall out of the saw in the back (behind the scoop)? I have an opening there that is the biggest on mine.

I agree, I have to do this to mine. Does any dust fall out of the saw in the back (behind the scoop)? I have an opening there that is the biggest on mine.

The back of the "box" that sets under the table is completely open. With the DC on, this area around the guides stay clear. A downside to boxing in this area is that running the saw without the DC on is a no-no. Almost all the spoil gets trapped there if the DC is not on.

This is another great idea I wanted to try on my 10" saw but, there was no room. For you 14" cast iron frame guys:

BAND SAW TEE.jpg

Last edited: