Best Orbital Sander under $100

Jeff Bower

I dropped my Ryobi orbital sander last night and while it still works, it shakes like crazy and is louder than ever now. So now I'm in the market for a new sander...what is the best in the under $100 range. (festool or mikra aren't in the cards) I don't see that the low profile Porter Cable is around anymore. That appealed to me as it can be held easily in the palm of your hand. The other Porter Cable sanders have less than stellar reviews these days from what I've seen. That leaves Makita, Dewalt, Rigid, Milwaukee and Bosch. Any that I'm missing?

I'm pretty sure quite a few of you have the VS Bosch model and like it....any of the others get high marks from you all?

I don't have any others, but am happy with my Bosch VS. The little dust filter does an amazing job when I can't use the hose on it. I did have to order the hose adapter separately. I also bought an additional pad to put on it.

I am extremely happy with the Bosch ROS20VSC - in a canvas bag for $68.98 on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...as2&tag=plesumscom-20&linkId=B4AJUYOJ4PMUS3UH

I haven't seen any advantage to the "kit" that jacks the price to $79

Often one or the other is available at Lowe's for about the same price.

I have two of them, and discarded (Craigs List) my comparable Porter Cable unit. It looked the same but wasn't as nice to use

I twist off the dust filter and can shove my Fein vacuum hose directly on the port.

I have a Porter Cable 334 and a Makita BO5010. They both get used but I grab the Makita most of the time because it's a bit more comfortable. It looks like the BO5030 is the new offering of the one I have and it's under $70 at Amazon.

Just as an aside, I had my PC first, then got a good deal on the Makita. Turns out they both use the same base pad style, so having a spare is double good.

I have a couple of Bosch 1295VS (no longer made) that have served me well for many years. Based on the performance, dust collection and quiet operation, I would be tempted to look at Bosch again if required. I am glad I picked up a couple of extra vacuum adapters since Grainger is selling the $12 part for nearly $50 today!?! I also have a couple of hard pads for them which work much better of flat surfaces than the softer ones that come standard.

Thanks guys...The Bosch is looking like a front runner. They have the VS model at my local Menards and I have some rebate $$ too! Hope to pick one up soon.

Jeff before u buy a new one from a big box store, take a look a CPO Bosch Reconditioned.
I purchased a Bosch orbital from there for unreal low price.
Here is a link with the range available and prices often free shipping in USA
http://www.cpotools.com/bosch-sanders/bosch-sanders,default,sc.html

P.s. don't blame me if you blow your budget and buy too much the deals are incredible and I have not had an issue with any bosch recon.
The colt router is available there for around $75 and that's a great price.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Thanks for everyone steering me to the Bosch. I picked one up at Woodsmith last night for under $65. Had a $10 off coupon and a woodturners group discount too. I can't believe the difference in the Bosch and the Ryobi I had. :) Literally like night and day! My hands are not going to shake for a few hours after a sanding session anymore!! The dust collection that comes with it worked great as well. Soon it'll be hooked up to my dust deputy, once I get that up and going.

Anyway...thanks again! :thumb:

I can't believe the difference in the Bosch and the Ryobi I had. :) Literally like night and day! My hands are not going to shake for a few hours after a sanding session anymore!!

My Ryobi tools have always found their way to a new life through Craigs List. Now I skip the first step and don't buy them. They work as specified, but not the way I want tools to work. My 5 inch sanders are Bosch (having worn out two Makitas), and my 6 inch is Festool. The Bosch are good enough that I don't have a desire to upgrade to Festool.