dining room chairs

Dan Noren

Staff member
well, just because the shop is shut down for the season, doesn't mean i get to stop working on stuff. got the first set of parts for one of the dining room chairs done, along with all six back legs. now i just have to get the other two sets sanded. tonight i started the finishing process, which won't be truly done until the spring. at least i got a start with dying the first set of parts. the next step would be to give it a light sanding to knock down the grain, and 3 coats of shellac, before assembly. come spring, it will be that part, along with the re-engraving of the upper back parts. the parts for the fourth one (which replaces the one given away with the dining table) will be done in the spring as well.

Attachments

• 001 first set sanded.jpg
    001 first set sanded.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 002 first set dyed.jpg
    002 first set dyed.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 61
  • dining chair finished.JPG
    dining chair finished.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 73
yup, white oak. it's kind of a custom mix of trans tint dyes. sort of a medium brown with a touch of a reddish color. (good thing i mixed up about a half gallon, as i forgot the formula). yup, same ones. i'll have to redo the engraving as i don't like the way the first ones came out.

been a while, but i've gotten all of the other chair parts sanded. now i have to hit them with the dye, and when i can get into the shop, remake the upper back parts on the cnc.

got more of this one done today. finished cutting all of the parts, and planed the leg parts to thickness, and glued them up.

Attachments

• 002 dining chair legs glued and clamped.jpg
    002 dining chair legs glued and clamped.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 001 parts ready for fabrication.jpg
    001 parts ready for fabrication.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 16
took the legs out of the clamps. trimmed the back and side spindles to size. then planed the rest of the parts to thickness. tomorrow, clean up the legs, mortises and tenons, and start the cnc work.

Attachments

• 003 back spindles trimmed to size.jpg
    003 back spindles trimmed to size.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 004 side spindles trimmed to size.jpg
    004 side spindles trimmed to size.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 005 chair parts planed to thickness.jpg
    005 chair parts planed to thickness.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 9
started the cnc work on the top backs of the chairs. worked out pretty good.

Attachments

• 006 start of cnc work.jpg
    006 start of cnc work.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 007 finished cnc work.jpg
    007 finished cnc work.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 12
laid out and cut all of the mortises. tenons are next!

Attachments

• 009 front leg mortises done.jpg
    009 front leg mortises done.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 010 back leg mortises done.jpg
    010 back leg mortises done.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 011 upper back mortises done.jpg
    011 upper back mortises done.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 012 other mortises done.jpg
    012 other mortises done.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 12
with the mortises done, its time to work on the tenons. with those done, time for test fitting. all that is left now, is to fit the spindles to the back and sides, and chamfer the tops and bottoms of the front and back legs, and it is ready for sanding and finishing.

Attachments

• 017 up on its own feet.jpg
    017 up on its own feet.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 016 front legs added.jpg
    016 front legs added.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 015 seat and supports added.jpg
    015 seat and supports added.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 014 back test fitted.jpg
    014 back test fitted.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 013 tenons done.jpg
    013 tenons done.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 13
Are you doing stopped chamfers? I think that a little decorative chisel work around the chamfers would look really really good on these. Of course I'm fresh off of reading about some decorative chamfers from the new Charles Hayward book.. so might be slightly over excited ;)

as i got a late start today (long night at work, and not feeling to ambitious today), i measured for (and wrote them down) for the side and back spindles, and did a test of the dining table and chair. as i designed the table around the chairs, i thought that it was a good idea. good thing too, as i found that i need to lower the table by about 3 inches, as i found it was a bit too high for comfort.

Attachments

• 018 test with table.jpg
    018 test with table.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 10