Shop vac question

John Jussel

I now have a new Table Saw (Bosch 4100-09). Next purchase will be a decent shop vac to hook up to the dust port on the TS. I would like to be able to just turn on the TS and have the shop vac start too. My question is what switch are you using to be able to do it? I did a quick search on Google and found this one "i-socket 110m Tool and Vacuum Switch". Are there better basic switches to perform the same function?

Thanks,

John

I have my shop vac plugged into one of these. There is a couple variations offered with different amp ratings. It has worked fine for me for the last 5 years. I have the I-vac switch you asked about also but haven't used it since switching. I did not like having my shop vac more or less dedicated to 1 tool. Now I just plug the hose where needed and push the button on the remote.

I've run an i-socket for nearly 12 years without issue BUT, I use it solely for hand power tools like the ROS, jig saw and routing. I have run another one for my drill press, smaller bandsaw and scrollsaw for about a decade; also no problems. I use one like Roger shows for a handing ambient air scrubber for many years, no trouble. The key is to get a unit that is scaled to your purpose.

I have a dust collection system in my shop (Oneida Brand) with a remote switch. The sending unit clips onto my shop apron. I find this system superior to a switch wired into my saw switch /motor as one I do not have to worry of wiring something wrong into the motor of my saw or any other tool, and I can easily turn it on and off from the remote switch.

Good idea, I may get one for other uses. Not knocking what John wants to do, each to his own. But, I have a slight fear of things that can cut off my fingers faster than a blink. By deliberately not having a dedicated, single switch shop vac/CMS I am forced to take time, even if only a couple seconds to ponder what I am doing before starting the evil spinny thing. For me, it is just a little exercise in added caution.

Good idea, I may get one for other uses. Not knocking what John wants to do, each to his own. But, I have a slight fear of things that can cut off my fingers faster than a blink. By deliberately not having a dedicated, single switch shop vac/CMS I am forced to take time, even if only a couple seconds to ponder what I am doing before starting the evil spinny thing. For me, it is just a little exercise in added caution.

my thoughts too... fingers are hard to replace.

What does John wanting to have his shop vac and table saw turn on at the same time with a single switch time and starting the evil spinny thing and cutting off your fingers have to do with each other.? As far as John is concerned it depends on the amps that are drawn at start up. One can exceed the apms the circuit braker is designed to handle and trip. Now it is a trip to the panel to reset. Also with the vac running on the same circuit and when cutting thick stock one can overload on the circuit and cause problems. Not likely but it can happen. It is better to use a separate circuit or start the vac after the saw is up to speed.

If I felt that my saw was a the evil spinny thing and that was going to cutting off my fingers I would sell it. I would use a hand saw and then I wouldn't need dust collection or a shop vac I could use a broom and dust pan.

At one time Sears sold a item that you could plug the table saw into along with a shop vac. When you started up the saw the shop vac would start up and keep running for 10 seconds longer when you turned the saw off. I used one on my Contractors saw and my shop vac.. Now that I have a 220v Cabinet saw I use a remote to turn on my dust collection separate to what ever tool I happen to be using at the time............................