G&G Inspired Dresser

Busy weekend so no shop time :(. Caught up a bit after work and before workout yesterday and today. Drawer parts, drawer parts, roll-ee, pole-ee drawer parts . . .

GnG Low CoD (148).jpg

This jig is on its 3rd generation and is still lacking but, it'll get me through the 18 drawer sides. I want the full drawer side thickness for the finger joints so I recess the full extension slides.

GnG Low CoD (149).jpg

The clamps hold the jig to the part, the clamps get held between dogs and a piece of scrap to give me clearance for the router. I use a larger router and a large dado-cleanout bit to hog out most of the waste. I then use a 1/2" template bit for the last little bit. This gives me the smaller corner radii at the front.

GnG Low CoD (150).jpg . GnG Low CoD (151).jpg

And the slide sets in like so:

GnG Low CoD (153).jpg . GnG Low CoD (154).jpg

The random holes in the jig parts serve no purpose. It is made from an IKEA fixture I broke down for scrap.

Fianlly getting back to this after a severe case of "life-us-interuptus". I have been basically prepping blanks to make drawer parts out of.

GnG Low CoD (157).jpg

I've also made some parts.

GnG Low CoD (156).jpg

Its square hole punchin' time ;-)

GnG Low CoD (155).jpg

I have not bothered to count the total number of pegs (both proud and flush) that goes into these 9 drawer chests.

GnG Low CoD (158).jpg

In truth I've been almost afraid to :doh:.

Last edited:
The brain trust stopped by (as seen in the Family Gatherings forum). Carol and Larry came up with some great ideas. These grew as we went along and the result is I have a method for doing a lot of the roughing out work on the joinery that will save me a ton of time.

GnG Low CoD (159).jpg . GnG Low CoD (160).jpg

The next day, Larry and I already started discussing the jig version 2 ;-)

Moving right along . . .

GnG Low CoD (161).jpg

Last edited:
I use a little sled like jig to cut square stock I have prepared into little square plugs. These will be pared flush for the sides of the drawers. The fronts get the typical pillowed square ebony plugs.

GnG Low CoD (162).jpg . GnG Low CoD (163).jpg . GnG Low CoD (164).jpg

Last edited:
Can it be that I've finally gotten a drawer in this thing!?! Only eight more to fit and I can start on the top and back.

GnG Low CoD (165).jpg . GnG Low CoD (166).jpg

Beautiful! Progress is good, even if slow.

Gonna make a pair of your torsion beams. You wouldn't have a SketchUp drawing to share, would you?

Beautiful! Progress is good, even if slow.

Major lesson learned on this piece. I was making a lightly different version for myself and though I would speed things along by using some pockethole joinery versus my more traditional joinery methods to save time. The result is that normal life presented itself and I lost the time I hoped to save. End result is I have a piece that I will know I took shortcuts on with no benefit to show for my sacrifice. This reaffirms a motto of mine: "There is no shortcut leading anywhere I want to go".

Gonna make a pair of your torsion beams. You wouldn't have a SketchUp drawing to share, would you?

I have 3 footers and 5 footers. I would recommend some 2+ footers and plan to make some shortly.

Last edited:
I have 3 footers and 5 footers. I would recommend some 2+ footers and plan to make some shortly.

Have you ever wished them to be 2" longer? I am thinking that a little like clamps that a couple of extra inches would be handy. I will start with 30-32". I have a piece in mind that they would be handy to have.

Thanks for sharing on a detailed post Darren pointed me to and that I have bookmarked.

Wow, too much time in between working on this guy. I found I needed to trim a couple of drawers to get the spacing I wanted. I keep a little higher angle on my bob-tailed block plane that let's me just plane right around the top or bottom of a drawer-box for fine tuning.

GnG Low CoD (170).jpg

So, now the drawers are all (back) in and the trim is mostly complete. I need to punch the square holes in the top wrap-around trim.

GnG Low CoD (171).jpg

Now I can focus on the back, top, straps and pulls :thumb: