G&G Inspired Dresser

Square Holes

I have posted this here and there in various builds but, do get occasional questions on it. I took a few minutes to get some pics I hope will be helpful. I have used regular square mortise chisels in the past with good success. This Lee Valley offering of the Darrell Peart punches make the process a bit more elegant but, the result is the same. The punches may not make sense for you unless you do this a lot. Poor Larry watched me punch square holes till I thought he would run screaming from the shop . . . didn't happen. the man's diligence is impressive :D.

I mark the location and put a very small mark with an awl. I use this small hole to align the punch using a brad point bit that precisely fits the through hole in the punch; the smaller the awl hole the tighter the alignment.

GnG Low CoD (172).jpg . GnG Low CoD (173).jpg

I slip the punch over the brad point bit and square it up with a small double square. I pull the brad point bit and give the punch a tap to assure its location. Note the hand screw being used to prevent splitting the narrow finger.

GnG Low CoD (174).jpg . GnG Low CoD (175).jpg

I then drill the hole with a previously depth-set twist bit in a drill motor. Depending on your depth and your material a repeat strike with the hammer followed by a repeat of the drill cleanout may be required. These are 1/4" deep in walnut and require 1 or 2 repeats.

GnG Low CoD (176).jpg . GnG Low CoD (177).jpg

I then blow out the spoil with a bulb and move on to the next position.

GnG Low CoD (178).jpg . GnG Low CoD (179).jpg

I hope this might answer some questions and help out anyone doing this for the first time.

Last edited:
Got a little more done on this poor, patient piece . . .

I selected the parts for the top panel, glued them up and planed flat.

GnG Low CoD (186).jpg . GnG Low CoD (190).jpg

Put the tongue all around.

GnG Low CoD (191).jpg

Tested the capacity of my Saw Stop and found it wanting. Finished up with a chisel.

GnG Low CoD (192).jpg . GnG Low CoD (193).jpg . GnG Low CoD (194).jpg . GnG Low CoD (195).jpg

Nothing that shows makes it to assembly without a kiss from a hand plane.

GnG Low CoD (200).jpg

The corners of the frame get square holes, the ends of the fingers get rounded and it looks like so.

GnG Low CoD (202).jpg . GnG Low CoD (203).jpg

cont'd

Last edited:
The corners of the top's frame get pegged and it mounts with figure 8 connectors.

GnG Low CoD (211).jpg . GnG Low CoD (214).jpg

Time to make some pulls. I plane the backs so that they mate with the drawer fronts well.

GnG Low CoD (215).jpg

This is one of those things I do to amuse myself. I make the pulls out of a single board and keep them oriented so that even when the pulls are spread out the figure still flows. Only a few clients have figured this out so it is my semi-private joke . . . I know; twisted minds . . .

GnG Low CoD (216).jpg . GnG Low CoD (217).jpg

I use a template to mark things out, rough cut them on the bandsaw and then template route the faces and round the edges in preparation for the hand work

GnG Low CoD (218).jpg . GnG Low CoD (219).jpg . GnG Low CoD (220).jpg

More fun next chance I get.

Last edited:
Wow, just getting caught up on your thread Glenn, You've created a very inspirational piece. Love the way you've created the handles, but love the whole project in general, always a joy watching you work and your methods.

Well i am going to be honest. I dont like the handles. I am not saying your workmanship has the slightest issue. But to me and i am not that huge a fan og G&G , i think the handles are too much and detract from the draw design and joint detail and overall image of the unit as it was in earlier pics without the trimmings of handles and on the base. Sorry if i have offended but i see no point of us only offering attaboys if we disagree.
To me the focus becomes those handles and all the squares on them.

Another point speaking of the handles alone they look like they would be awkward to grab ahold of to pull a draw out. Maybe a shallow wide flute along top and bottom would make it look more comfy. The draws may well slide with ease loaded or unloaded but i am referring to what the look of the handle has me thinking without even touching or trying.
Just my 2cents for what its worth.

A real G&G fan may be tripping out though. Peace.

Well i am going to be honest. I dont like the handles. I am not saying your workmanship has the slightest issue. But to me and i am not that huge a fan og G&G , i think the handles are too much and detract from the draw design and joint detail and overall image of the unit as it was in earlier pics without the trimmings of handles and on the base. Sorry if i have offended but i see no point of us only offering attaboys if we disagree.
To me the focus becomes those handles and all the squares on them.

Another point speaking of the handles alone they look like they would be awkward to grab ahold of to pull a draw out. Maybe a shallow wide flute along top and bottom would make it look more comfy. The draws may well slide with ease loaded or unloaded but i am referring to what the look of the handle has me thinking without even touching or trying.
Just my 2cents for what its worth.

A real G&G fan may be tripping out though. Peace.

No worries Rob. Any style that has really specific design elements will run hot and cold with people. The wife likes Queen Anne and I won't have it in the house :D. The wife can't stand the super clean "Euro" look but, I don't really mind it. If we were all the same the world would bo sooo boring :thumb:.

The pulls have a generous finger space under the center about 4" wide and 3/4" deep. Even the biggest mitts will slip right in.

Last edited: