How would you make this ??

Bob Gibson

Picture a jar like this displayed horizontally.

It is 17" long, 6" square sides, corners are rounded.

The real jar is super old, clear smooth glass, and a lady at church wants me to make a display stand for it.

I need some ideas so, how would you design the stand ????

il_214x170.688986812_qbs0.jpg

Bob, my first thought is something a bit like a plate display stand with a very short back so the jar sits at an angle. Maybe with a light underneath it.

why does she want to display it on its side?

Last edited:
I would too if there were M&Ms. :)

So how about an overgrown kaleidoscope stand? A nice piece of wood with four pieces of dowel stuck in. You can sort of see it in the image.

il_570xN.641850973_fkta.jpg

Last edited:
Althought it would take more work, you could make a rectangular prism made of square sticks open from all sides except the bottom as if it was a small showcase. No need to put glass panels on it. See pic.
showcase.jpg Obviously proportions and thickness of sticks should be thinner than depicted.

I forgot that you mentioned that the lady wanted to display it horizontal when I drew it, but nonetheless if eventually you go for this idea I (particularly) would display it vertical and with the jar turned 45 degrees so that from the front you would see the two sides with the corner pointing at you while the stick box would be parallel to your view. This would give a more interesting perception of the whole thing.

A piece of 2 x 4 with a 45 degree notch cut in the flat side would be the quickest and easiest way. The jar would lay in the notch. It sounds like it's for display to sell, rather than a permanent mounting. The buyer would get the jar....and the 2 x 4 would be a throw away.

Anyways, the weekend is fast approaching. What did you end up doing??

It's done.

Sorry no pictures :doh:, I'll try to get one tomorrow at the fair.

I did it similar to Daves idea except that I mortised 4, 1/2" squares and made tenons on 3/4 x 2 7/8" posts. 45's were cut on the other end of the posts. I just put an ogee around the base and added 2 coats of wipe on poly.
It fit perfectly :crossed: and the women's association love it :five:

The bottle is a one of a kind item so the stand goes with it. It's a pretty cool looking bottle, I may buy it myself :D

Last edited: