Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Table Saw Chip 'n Dip Board

Yorktown, Virginia

Table Saw Chip 'n Dip Board

This one was a little out of my table saw comfort zone, but it turned out to be quite tame and kinda cool. I saw someone selling snack boards out of slab lumber with a built in dish to hold dip, or chips or whatever. I couldn't see trying to balance a long board to spin outboard on the lathe to make the dish and don't have a CNC, so an internet search turned up a variety of methods to use a table saw to make coves, chair seats and even bowls. This method is a combination of some of those. I started with a 2' x 4' piece of cheapo 1/2" Borg plywood, marked the center of an arbitrary (just had to be wider than my slab)16" circle and cut it out using a jig on the band saw. Taped a piece of thin cardboard around the cut out to make up for the width of the kerf and then put the circle back in the piece. Then I centered it over the top dead center of the table saw blade and clamped the outer portion to the table with the blade lowered. Using double sticky tape and a cross piece hold down screwed into the circle, I attached the roughly 1 1/2" thick natural edge cherry slab to the circle upside down and centered where I wanted the dish.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Board 008.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	93456Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DISH-BOARD 004.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	93454
    Then, just like making cove molding (so I'm told) turned the saw on and raised the blade until it touched the bottom of the plywood circle and rotated the captive piece a full turn. Cranked the blade (a flat top grind) up a little bit after each rotation until the cut went through the plywood into the cherry and the dish was about 1 1/4" deep. I shut off the saw and pulled out the piece to check the depth every few turns. The cut was very smooth and didn't take much sanding with a 3" sanding disc to get it smooth. You can tell by the little nub that I was a bit off estimating top dead center, but it wasn't much of a problem to chisel off and sand smooth....just like a bowl bottom.

Name:	DISH-BOARD 005.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	93458Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DISH-BOARD 010.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	93453Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DISH-BOARD 015.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	93452

Ran both sides through the drum sander, softened all the edges, sanded to 220, slapped on a coat of Doctor's Woodshop Walnut Finishing Oil and voilà! A cool natural edge, avant-garde, neo rustic snack platter for whatever you want to serve up. Both sides of the board are usable and when the walnut oil dries I'll put on a coat of the same walnut oil beeswax paste I use on my salad bowls and buff it to a nice soft luster.

Name:	DISH-BOARD 021.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	93451Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DISH-BOARD 023.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	93459 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DISH-BOARD 027.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	93449
    Last edited by Ted Calver; 11-19-2015 at 02:29 PM. Reason: clarity

Independence, Kentucky
    Nice piece Ted
    I'm supposed to respect my elders, but its getting harder and harder for me to find one now.

Billings Missouri near Springfield Mo
    Way Cool Ted
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Amherst, New Hampshire
    Very interesting I'm thinking Christmas gifts
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Reno NV
    Very interesting. Make sure to enter it in the thread!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

No, not all of SoCal is Los Angeles!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Caughron View Post
    Way Cool Ted

How funny . . . my exact words . Love it.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Kansas City, Missouri
    Neat technique! Will need to try that one

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Tokyo Japan
    That is very cool, I would use this to make Christmas presents to take home for Christmas this year, but I fear they would fill my luggage rather quickly.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Tahlequah, OK
    Very cool!

DSM, IA
    That is very cool!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website