Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please be careful This Holiday Season

Please be careful This Holiday Season

I would like to share an experience with you about drinking and driving...

As you well know, some of us have been lucky not to have had brushes with the authorities on our way home from the odd social session over the years.

A couple of nights ago I was out for a few drinks with some friends and had a few too many beers and then topped it off with a margarita. Not a good idea.

Knowing full well I was at least slightly over the limit, I did something I've never done before: I took a taxi home. I arrived home safely without incident, which was a real surprise.

I have never driven a taxi before and have no idea where I got it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    ... I have never driven a taxi before and have no idea where I got it!

Good story!!!

My wife doesn't drink, so she's always the designated drive for however many of us go out for the evening. Lucky me!!!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Faith, Hope & Charity

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Clever one Ted.

However..,..some of the sober taxi drivers I have had the misfortune to drive with left me thinking I would be safer walking. Lol. Those guys from Somalia that drive in Minneapolis oh boy then there are the New Yorker guys oy vey.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    cheers

Scariest cab ride I ever had was in Athens Greece, with a Greek driver, with no idea where my hotel was...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Scariest cab ride I ever had was in Athens Greece, with a Greek driver, with no idea where my hotel was...
    Mine was in Paris. I have no idea how people can drive in that mayhem.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I was waiting to hear what you did with the taxi the next morning? I have had some very interesting rides in cabs in many, many countries including ours. But, I really think some of my nightmares originate from a cab ride in Atlanta during rush hour.

I suppose the scariest taxi ride I've experienced was in Lima, Peru... and it wasn't actually a taxi, just a young man charged by my agent to pick me up at the airport and deliver me to the hotel. He spoke no English, I spoke no Spanish, the car was his personal vehicle, a little Toyota. I got to the hotel just fine, to find out that my clients I was meeting there were being chauffeured about in an armored car with an armed driver... my clients represented the largest gold mine in Peru.

Most uneasy I've been, I was driving a rent car in Trinidad... they drive on the left there and it threw my prospective off... the car had curb feelers on the passenger side and I heard them scrape curbs more than once. I made a wrong turn out of agent's office and wound up going the wrong way... it took me about half an hour to realize that, then another hour to get back to my starting point and on the road out of Port of Spain towards San Fernando where my clients were.... in that hour I wound up driving through a part of Port of Spain called Laventille... which my client said was a very dangerous area for a white man to be in... wasn't uneasy about that until he told me...
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

The local taxi has been $5 anywhere in town for a while, then another guy started a competing service and does it for $4.50. Anywhere in town is somewhat less than a mile though. Going from the neighboring town was $40 for a 20m drive.

I've never taken any of them home solo

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    I suppose the scariest taxi ride I've experienced was in Lima, Peru... and it wasn't actually a taxi, just a young man charged by my agent to pick me up at the airport and deliver me to the hotel. He spoke no English, I spoke no Spanish, the car was his personal vehicle, a little Toyota. I got to the hotel just fine, to find out that my clients I was meeting there were being chauffeured about in an armored car with an armed driver... my clients represented the largest gold mine in Peru.
    I'm guessing that was back in the 90's with the shining path bombing the countryside and taking hostages around there. Scary times. I've never seen as many high voltage fences around residential houses as in Lima even when we went down a couple years ago though so although its better, I didn't really stay out after dark much.

Not really scary (for me, others might disagree) but an amusing Peru taxi story:

We were taking a taxi from Puno to Juliaca up on the high plateau and as the taxi driver was (as they are wont to do in that part of the country) being somewhat aggressive at driving. There was a tourist van in front of us that was basically blocking the road and our driver was getting visibly frustrated at the rate of progress. Seeing this, I made a somewhat pointed (and moderately crude) comment (in my horribly broken Spanish) demeaning the other drivers personal bravery. The driver, agreeing vehemently with me, was immediately more friendly. My mom on the other hand, who was still struggling to order water much less food in spanish, somehow managed to grasp the gist of what I said and (although I didn't think this was still likely at 40+) gave me a dirty look and a smack on the back of the head. Apparently the driver was going plenty fast for her already I guess I was adapting somewhat faster.

There was also the event where our bus driver got into a fist fight with a guy who pulled out of an alley and side swiped the bus. The other guy was apparently a somewhat known troublemaker in the area and had indulged in some products not on the legal market. Interesting countryside, made me glad to live where I do to a large part.

I can't think of many REALLY scary taxi rides, possibly its because I avoid cities when possible