Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spec Table

Spec Table

For the next project, I decided to try something i've never done before: Attempt to make a piece purely for the artistic angle. I helped start a local furniture making guild a few years ago and we're doing our first Gallery show in the spring. I didn't have anything to put in there so i decided to make something. This first episode introduces the project and gets the woodworking started by resawing a gorgeous slab of walnut. Check it out!

Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

I like the idea of this, seems like everything i work on has specific purposes. It would be fun to build something like this.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Always enjoy seeing the interesting details on your builds..

Excuse my ignorance, but what sort of table is a spec table? As you don't post any previous sketch or drawing I can't figure out what are you making.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but what sort of table is a spec table? As you don't post any previous sketch or drawing I can't figure out what are you making.
    Spec means "for no reason" or "for hopeful sale" but i have no actual call for this table. It's actually just a Hall Table built on spec. It's a phrase often used for things you build to have available for sale without an actual buyer asking for it.

There are no sketches or drawings - this one's coming fully out of the inner reaches of my brain (a scary place, that!)
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

The full term is "speculative building" and is commonly used in real estate, but is also somewhat widely used in a similar context in the arts and crafts.

Its a bit confusing because the other term of "built to spec" means built to a specification or built as per a specific design and the difference is mostly just in the word order.

Wikipedia has a reasonably helpful explanation:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spec

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Beam View Post
    Spec means "for no reason" or "for hopeful sale" but i have no actual call for this table. It's actually just a Hall Table built on spec. It's a phrase often used for things you build to have available for sale without an actual buyer asking for it.

There are no sketches or drawings - this one's coming fully out of the inner reaches of my brain (a scary place, that!)
    I get it thanks, so it is similar to " from the top of my head" or "from an impulse" Today I've learnt something.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

This is a pretty big episode. We look at the walnut top and get some of the defects filled with tinted epoxy. Then I set about working up a base for this table. Decided on some gnarly wood which makes it a bit of a challenge, but in the end I was able to make a part work just fine. Thanks for watching!

Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA