Spec Table

Jason Beam : I want to say Thank You for posting these videos about making you "spec table. I have really enjoyed how you have left the videos unedited. And how you explain what you are thinking about . Cant wait for part 7 to come out........... Again thank you for taking the time and trouble for doing this......................Gary

Gary, Thanks for the kind words!! I wish i could say they were unedited, but i know what you mean. I intentionally leave in the ENTIRE process as much as I can because when I was starting out it was all these details I had never gotten to see because of the magic of television. I was often frustrated with "I'll need a fixture for xyz..." and then poof, out pops a shop-made fixture without any details on how or why it was needed. I don't get into "instructional" exactly because I can't be bothered to stop and really explain the nuts and bolts but the way I learned best was watching someone else who knew how to do something perform the task. That was always more educational to me than being spoon fed the information, anyway.

I"m glad you like them!

This episode is all about finalizing the shape. In other words, lots of rasping and filing and scraping and sanding. Also, working out the position for the top and prep for mounting it to the base. Thanks for watching!

That's really coming together nicely. I agree with your table placement. Could always add a little counter weight to the other half of the table if you're too concerned about that, but it looked to be nominal.

In this episode, I manage to get the top fitting worked out by machining some aluminum hardware custom for the job. This worked out surprisingly well, actually! I did have a few lessons along the way, though!

In this episode the fitting of the top is completed by gluing the pegs into the base. Then a recess is cut in both the top and base to receive a brass plate to hold the whole thing together. We also make up the brass plate in this episode. The CNC gets used for the first (and only) time on this project - to cut a template for the top's profile. Thanks for watching!!!

Jason, I have been watching this during my lunch hour. I am finally caught up. Excellent eye, execution and final product. Was wondering if it has had a finish applied yet.

Hey Jonathan - thanks so much!! It does have a finish applied ... and it looks pretty neat, if i say so myself :D I don't wanna ruin the surprise, though :D

Well I'll tell you (as if you didn't already know) that table in itself was a lot of work let alone taking all of us along that journey. I for one greatly appreciate your efforts and thoughts of bringing us this video. My hat is off to you, thank you again for the adventure and education.

Today we see how well the top attachment worked out. I also prove to myself once again that drawing is not my strongest suit. The walnut top is cut to final shape as well. Finally, the first try in covering up the joinery blemishes is revealed. Thanks for watching!

It's finally over!!!

Final finish goes on the top - with a little more on the base. Then I can't leave well enough alone and frustrate myself with a last minute veneering task because i'm neurotic. In the end, the piece is done, though. I'm satisfied with the work that i did - it came out with good quality. Now I just hope it sells!!!

On to the next project!

Jason that turned out great. Thanks for taking the time and effort to put together all the videos of the process from start to finish. In the end you say "Now someone buy this thing" but then you don't say how much? Curious as to what something like that might go for?

Jason that turned out great. Thanks for taking the time and effort to put together all the videos of the process from start to finish. In the end you say "Now someone buy this thing" but then you don't say how much? Curious as to what something like that might go for?

Thanks so much, gary! :)

I haven't said a price yet because I can't figure out what I want for it ... or can get for it... i'm really struggling on that, actually.

Thank you, Jason! A great build and great videos. Thanks so much for sharing all the trials and tribulations of the process. I enjoyed it a bunch.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Well it looked like you were having fun anyway :D :thumb: The videos were as usual nicely done.

It was certainly an interesting build, nice to see something different from the usual anyway (not that most of your builds are the usual..).

I do worry about the strength of the front legs ongoing but suspect its likely to end up someplace to look pretty so probably not a huge concern. Your finish on the top is sure to grab a few eyes and may well sell the piece all by itself, that's some spiffy looking grain in that piece of wood.

The sale price will have a lot to do with the market you choose to expose it to.

I'd take some great pictures, especially of the top, write a story about the piece and why you chose to build it. Take that to 4-6 gallery owners and ask them. They will ask what you want so start high. They will let you know if they have clientele that will support your price.

Personally, something this unique with such a stunning top, I'd ask $4500 and the gallery can add their commission. YOU may not pay such an amount for it and perhaps nobody on this forum would either, but then we are not prospective customers.

And if you want, I can help you write the story behind the piece.

The sale price will have a lot to do with the market you choose to expose it to.

I'd take some great pictures, especially of the top, write a story about the piece and why you chose to build it. Take that to 4-6 gallery owners and ask them. They will ask what you want so start high. They will let you know if they have clientele that will support your price.

Personally, something this unique with such a stunning top, I'd ask $4500 and the gallery can add their commission. YOU may not pay such an amount for it and perhaps nobody on this forum would either, but then we are not prospective customers.

And if you want, I can help you write the story behind the piece.

Thanks everybody!

it was a real stretch for my mind - i don't normally work abstractly but it was a fun project.

Carol, I may take you up on that very kind offer, thank you. If it doesn't sell after the show, i'll reach out :)