Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joined the local Guild

Kansas City, Missouri

Joined the local Guild

I've been wanting to join the local guild for a while, but with house projects and taking care of the grandson, time hasn't allowed. Well, I decided to attend this past week's meeting as I hadn't been to the guild since they moved to their new shop a few years ago. The meeting had well over 100 attendees, I was about 5 out of all of those under the age of 50, so lots of "knowledge" in the room.

I was amazed at the space they had, about 40,000 sq ft. They had several storage rooms, a presentation/meeting area, offices, classrooms, a library, kitchen, and shop space (see pics at the link below).

Tools in inventory included 3 saw stop table saws, 2 planers, 3 jointers, 3 surface sanders, 3 lathes, 4 drill presses, 6 scroll saws, chop saws, a bunch of edge/oscillating/disc sanders, routers and tables, tons of lei valley hand planes, and cabinets full of hand tools. Oh, and a Legacy CNC Router with Aspire. Lots of benches, classes, and special user interests groups to join.

So you ask, what does all this cost for me to use? $75 per year!!! I took the safety orientation tonight and should be setup to use the shop by this coming week during open shop times, which is about 140 hours per month, classes and other events are given use of the shop during other times.

It's only about 10 minutes from my work, so will be spending a few lunch hours dropping in to get some meditation time in.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Thomasville, GA
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbs-up-big.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	93478
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Oliver Springs, TN
    Wow Darren! That's a great deal!
    Windrock Custom Calls

The Gorge Area, Oregon
    Nice, sounds like an interesting place. Hopefully there's lots of camaraderie and inspiration from a group like that.

Yorktown, Virginia
    That sounds like a great opportunity.

ABQ NM
    That sounds like a great bargain, considering what you'll have access to.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Amherst, New Hampshire
    That's impressive
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Plainwell, Michigan
    That can be all sorts if fun

Wow!!! Look at all the new ideas that will pop up to add to your bucket list. Really looks like a good think.

DSM, IA
    That's a great deal! I had to forward the info to my friend that lives in Brookside...he wants to start doing more woodworking, but doesn't have a garage or space in the basement to get started. This might fit the bill!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website