Joined the local Guild

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I've been wanting to join the local guild for a while, but with house projects and taking care of the grandson, time hasn't allowed. Well, I decided to attend this past week's meeting as I hadn't been to the guild since they moved to their new shop a few years ago. The meeting had well over 100 attendees, I was about 5 out of all of those under the age of 50, so lots of "knowledge" in the room. ;)

I was amazed at the space they had, about 40,000 sq ft. They had several storage rooms, a presentation/meeting area, offices, classrooms, a library, kitchen, and shop space (see pics at the link below).

http://kcwoodworkersguild.org/guild-tour-4/

Tools in inventory included 3 saw stop table saws, 2 planers, 3 jointers, 3 surface sanders, 3 lathes, 4 drill presses, 6 scroll saws, chop saws, a bunch of edge/oscillating/disc sanders, routers and tables, tons of lei valley hand planes, and cabinets full of hand tools. Oh, and a Legacy CNC Router with Aspire. Lots of benches, classes, and special user interests groups to join.

So you ask, what does all this cost for me to use? $75 per year!!! I took the safety orientation tonight and should be setup to use the shop by this coming week during open shop times, which is about 140 hours per month, classes and other events are given use of the shop during other times.

It's only about 10 minutes from my work, so will be spending a few lunch hours dropping in to get some meditation time in.

That's a great deal! I had to forward the info to my friend that lives in Brookside...he wants to start doing more woodworking, but doesn't have a garage or space in the basement to get started. This might fit the bill! :thumb:

That's a great deal! I had to forward the info to my friend that lives in Brookside...he wants to start doing more woodworking, but doesn't have a garage or space in the basement to get started. This might fit the bill! :thumb:

Cool, Have him pm me if he's interested in meeting up there sometime, though I'm sure he'd be fine on his own, pretty friendly bunch of folks.