A Serving Tray

Dave Richards

Up at 3 am this morning and couldn't sleep so I doodled out an idea for a serving tray based on one from the mid-50s.

The bottom of the tray is two pieces of wood with a narrow space between them. I'm not sure how the thin pieces are attached to the ends on the original but I think the bottom pieces are probably quarter sawn so there'd be little or no movement. Maybe glue would be adequate.

One can buy the original for $325 or so.

Ryan, you kind of smoked it. The feet have tenons that come up through the top. The feet are secured to the underside with screws in counterbored holes. There are no glue blocks on the bottom and there's no visible hardware attaching the side pieces to the tray. The sides don't meet at the corners because there are notches in the corners.

I'm thinking this would be a pretty easy tray to make if someone had a need for one like it.

Last edited:
Interesting, I couldn't quiiiittteee see what was going on with the top but the cross grain lines looked suspicious.

I'm still a wee bit dubious about the ends on the tray itself.. although they don't get a lot of stress so pre-soaking the end grain with glue they'll likely hold pretty well.

Actually you could do something akin to a breadboard end on the ends and cut some stub tenons on it that penetrate the end pieces. It wouldn't be quite the original, but would keep the spirit of the design and give you a nice glue spot. I think you could use that to frame a cut out underneath or perhaps a handle attachment which would make it easier to pick up as well.

Well, whatever was done originally, it has lasted better than 60 years. If anything I make lasts that long, I'll be fine. I don't expect I'll care a whole lot then, anyway. :D

I like the tray and Bill has an excellent solution in my opinion but I guess the designs feet add some character with the jointing.
Like you say a relatively easy tray to knock off.

CNC guys could cut a batch blindfold. Lol.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk