Slow Twin Beds

william watts

I am a slow woodworker. These beds have taken more than a year to complete, not steady work, but slow progress, interrupted by smaller projects and daily life. I used plans from Plans Now with some changes to the dimensions. This is the 1st project I have used plans for, usually I build from my sketches or old style drafted drawings. Another first was finishing before I glued it up.

They are made from hard maple and african mahogany and finished with oil based urethane on the maple and shellac on the the mahogany.

This is a picture of the milled parts for one bed, each bed has 8 floating slates in the head and foot board.IMG_0417.jpg

Here is the completed bed set. IMG_0034.jpg

I enjoyed this project, but still glad to move on to something else.

Bill

Those are beauties, Bill!:thumb: For some reason, beds are a really slow build item here. Mine has been in the planning stage for at least three years, maybe more. At least I have the lumber. Now tables....that's a whole nuther story.

:rofl: Apparently beds are the slow thing. I've had the lumber for ?5? years or thereabouts.

Those are nice ones, I like the curves on the side rails and the post caps are something to think about... I haven't decided what to do there on mine yet but I like those ones.

Very nice, Bill. :clap: I agree with Ryan...the curves on the side pieces are a nice touch. I'm sure those beds will be used for generations. :thumb: