Some Red Oak Bowls

Dave Hoskins

I thought I would post these red oak bowls that are going to the fair this weekend. Both are similar in size; 12-12 1/2" in diameter, 3" high, and 2" deep. As per my somewhat normal methods the wood was sealed with walnut oil. Then finished with a walnut oil/shellac mixture. Some folks don't care that much for red oak but I like the grain patterns in it. And, it is easy to work with as well. Not a particularly hard wood at all. To me anyway it's not hard. Roughs out easily, dries evenly in the kiln, and finishes out nicely. Hope you all like them. :D

Those look great Dave! :thumb: I like red oak as well. Cuts great when wet. Plus if it's cut evenly, not much cracking, but usually some cool warping.

Nice ones, Dave. :thumb::thumb:I've turned some oak to make collection plates and had the same experience as Jeff. It makes a sturdy bowl....and if you catch it at the right time will spalt nicely.

Looking good, Dave. :thumb: I've not turned any red oak. I did get my hands on some big chunks of fresh California coastal oak, and although it cut nicely, it warped and cracked like mad. The bulk of it ended up sitting in my driveway for a couple of years, then I traded it for a truckload of fresh flame box elder that a friend was planning to burn. I got better turning wood and my friend got much better firewood. :thumb:

Thanks, fellers! I personally like the stuff. I minimize the cracking and warping by using a kiln that I keep at about 100. I need to build me another one as this one has been moved around so many times. Never built it with that in mind. I use a series of IR Brood 125w Lamps to create the heat. Have them on a series of switches so I can regulate the heat better. For a homemade rig, it works pretty darned good. It's about the size of an average one holer outhouse. Anyway, everybody have a great Thanksgiving and don't eat to much!