All I can do is dream.

Leo Voisine

Well, I am into year two in my remodeling project. Or is it year 3?

Anyway, the next stage of the project - FINALLY - is to get going in the kitchen. That means cabinets. Money is now limited so it will be slower than my normal turtle slow.

NOW - with the CNC ever so near - and YES - this is posted in General woodworking - cause it is - I am SERIOUSLY considering about how to use the CNC router, rather than the NYW router table to make the raised panel doors.

Hmmm - I can picture the 3-1/2 inch panel bit mounted in the spindle. Now - how to hold the panel on the machine? How to clamp it down, how to move that monster cutter on the panels.

Then there is the rail and stile cutters - end grain cutting, how deep to cut in each pass?

With a table size at 52" x 51" I should be able to cut out the carcase parts. I can do the rabits, dados, drilled holes - all in one setup - and not blow any dimensions.

Even the Face frame - I can do the pockets for the hinges and such.

BUT - alas, the machine is still in limbo - but it will be here soon - and just in time.

This will be a cool startup project for the Osprey

But for now - all I can do is dream a little dream.

One way that comes to mind about using a CNC to make "raised panel" doors or drawer front is a faux raised panel bit. Frankly, I wouldn't do it this way but it's an option to take a flat panel and form something that resembles a raised panel.

The rules don't say you have to run all 4 sides at once (though it would be nice), clamp them and do the sides, rotate and do the ends. ;)

One way that comes to mind about using a CNC to make "raised panel" doors or drawer front is a faux raised panel bit. Frankly, I wouldn't do it this way but it's an option to take a flat panel and form something that resembles a raised panel.

I've been seeing this more and more, even in the $250k - $400k homes around here. Painting the cabinets seems to be the "in" thing right now. The cabinet shops aren't even taking the time to square up the corners with a vbit to make them look real, just leaving them round. :dunno:

I'm not into the Faux panels. Painted looks good especially with glazing effects. I am a bit of a traditionalist - I like Cherry. But, I could VERY easily be talked into a glaze on the Cherry. Diane doesn't like the Glaze, so therefore, it will not happen.

I have made a significant number of panel doors and drawer fronts on my router table. I have a few different style panel cutters. I really like the traditional raised panel doors.

I will try some test doors before I cut nice Cherry. I need some doors for a cabinet in my shop and the best way to test methods is on shop furnishings. So I will do that. For the shop, I will inset a "greenman" into the middle of the raised panel door face.

I don't have a vacuum table - yet. Now is not the right time to make one. I am thinking a fixture of some sort where I can mount the Panel, or Rail, or Stile, and run a program. I may need to hand code the program rather than use Vectric.

The more I think about it the more intrigued I am about it.

Mach3 does not recognize the use of variables or programming logic like "IF THEN" or anything like that, otherwise I could write an intelligent CNC program.

Maybe a Vectric program template.

Lots of cool stuff to work out. I can't wait. I am so excited.

The rules don't say you have to run all 4 sides at once (though it would be nice), clamp them and do the sides, rotate and do the ends. ;)

I've been seeing this more and more, even in the $250k - $400k homes around here. Painting the cabinets seems to be the "in" thing right now. The cabinet shops aren't even taking the time to square up the corners with a vbit to make them look real, just leaving them round. :dunno:

I am think along those lines - two sides - then turn. I could set up two fixture areas an use the G54 for the first and G55 for the second. Even further I could use G56, G57, G58, G59 to do all the door parts, but I still need to change the cutter.

As to the expensive home and economy cabinets. Kitchen cabinets are no longer thought of as a long term solution. Rather, with the desire of the home owner to remodel every 5-10 years and change the look to keep up with changing trends, cabinets are throwaway items to fill the dumps with. So, why install beautiful cabinets that will last 50 years and are way more money? The cabinet makers need to built to this theme - or - they will go out of business. Well, that's my theory anyway.

I am not, neither do I want to be, a cabinet maker. But, I do like to make extra money and am willing to make a cabinet for a customer and I will make it the way they want it made, even if it is a commodity item.