Thread: WTB 3/4" Wooden Dado Plane

WTB 3/4" Wooden Dado Plane

I have a project coming up that I would like to use almost all hand tools to build. Although there are ways to construct dados other than using a dado plane, they are not as quick.

My need is for 3/4" but if you have a set you want to part with, let's talk. Please no projects (like missing a nicker), I am looking for functional users.
    If your set has been sitting on a dusty shelf, maybe it is time to pass it on to someone who will be busy using them and keeping them dust free.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Bill Satko; 11-27-2015 at 01:09 AM.
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

Hi Bill.
    I'm sorry I haven't got any, but you can also try at Patric Leach http://www.supertool.com/forsale/novlist2015.html, I think it is easier than waiting for some to appear on ebay and hope to win the auction.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Thanks Toni, I am aware of Patrick Leach as I am on his monthly email list. I will be sending him an email to keep an eye out for what I want. I already sent an email to Joshua Clark of Hyperkitten, whose email list I am also on.

I am a little reluctant of buying a woody on ebay, as although wooden planes appear simplistic there are elements of their construction that needs to be precise, otherwise there is much fettling required to make them work, i.e. the bedding of the iron. I prefer to buy one from someone that understands their use and has actually put it into practice successfully. Besides the usual pitfalls of used wooden planes, I understand from HyperKitten that you need to ensure that the plane has no twist (probably not a good thing in any type) as the dado plane runs in the groove it makes and will bind if not perfectly straight.
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

HNT Gordon has a 3/4" that is supposed to be pretty nice.

http://www.hntgordon.com.au/gidgee-joinery-planes.html

I suspect that most of the old ones, even in good shape, will need an undue amount of fettling.