Thread: Adding profiles to vcarve

Kansas City, Missouri

Adding profiles to vcarve

I saw on the legacy cnc site they had downloads for profiles (dxf) of the magnate brand of bits, just copy the profiles you need from the main drawing. I'm guessing they should match several other bits we'd use. Might save you some drawing, but always good to double check them.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Thomasville, GA
    Thanks for the information, Darren.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

East Freeetown, Massachusetts
    Nice Video

Comes in really handy for lots of stuff.

One drawback is that you cannot do a profile that is larger at the bottom than the top is. You cannot do a dovetail cutter, or a key slot cutter.

When I do my doors, I can do the panel cutter - but NOT the rail and stile cutters - at least not the slot part.

There MUST be a progression where the bottom is larger and there is a regular progression from bottom to top where every change in diameter from bottom to top is same as or larger than the previous.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	form cutters.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	93556

The form on the left is OK - but the form on the right for my rail cutter is NOT OK, because of the slotting part. If I removed the slot cutter, it would be OK.

Vectric is a BAS Relief carving software, not full 3D. It is an incredably powerful tool for the price but it does have some limitations. It cannot do any undercutting.

Of course you can be "creative" and put a dovetail cutter in the spindle and do undercutting on the machine. You can run a profile pass in Vectric. The dovetail will run in the profile pass but will not display on the toolpath preview.

I fully plan to use my rail and stile cutters and I "might" use Vectric to program the toolpath, but my methods will be unconventional from the "normal" for Vectric programming. There is also nothing stopping me from just hand coding the toolpath.
    Last edited by Leo Voisine; 11-27-2015 at 12:30 PM.