Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Band saw question

Band saw question

I have a Delta 14" bandsaw with a Grizzly riser adapted to fit....

Last month I kept losing power on the motor and pulled it off to discover the fan was loose and the motor was overheating...
    I took it to the local electric motor repair shop and had a new fan put on... worked great until yesterday... was cutting a chunk of Cherry and it blew the circuit breaker... I figured I had too much running on the circuit, a fan, the compressor and the saw... but the saw smelled hot and like an electrical smell... I shut it down for the day. Today I started the saw without the other machines on the circuit and immediately smelled the hot electrical smell, so figure the motor is probably burned out or is burning out and too dangerous to work with....

I'm thinking now that I'll need to replace the motor. Currently the saw has a 3/4 hp motor, single phase, 1725 rpm....
    I'm thinking about putting a full 1 hp motor ... Grizzly has both a 3/4 & 1 hp motor on sale right now, both look to be the same
    as the existing motor...

My question is: will the saw handle the 1 hp or should I stick to the 3/4 hp as it was stock on this saw?
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

I am the worst person possble to advise about things elektrikal. But, you asked if the saw can handle it. I bellieve it can since both companies sell higher priced models with larger motors that are virtually identical to yer 3/4 hp. saw. Do check out Harbor Freight for motors, they have some incredible prices on theirs, especially when on sale.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    I am the worst person possble to advise about things elektrikal. But, you asked if the saw can handle it. I bellieve it can since both companies sell higher priced models with larger motors that are virtually identical to yer 3/4 hp. saw. Do check out Harbor Freight for motors, they have some incredible prices on theirs, especially when on sale.
    Thanks Frank,
    I know about as much about electrical as you say you do.. most I know is it can and will curl your hair if you're not careful. I looked at HF, even on sale their prices are than what I found on Grizzly. They have a motor that looks just like mine in both 3/4 and 1 hp for under $120... think I'm going that route.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.

I have never wished for less power in a bandsaw . I see no problem with that frame holding up to the 1HP motors power. If the speed is the same, the drive train's awareness of the power comes from resistance at the cutting edge. I'd go to 2hp if I could.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I would guess that the saw can handle the added 1/4 hp. There is a tiny bit more amperage draw, but 1 hp should not overload your circuit even at 15 amps. I hope you have 20 amp circuits.

The Grizzly and the HF motors may be made by the same Chinese company. I am not faulting either, just pointing out that there is not likely a lot of difference between the two.

The one thing that WILL make a difference is RPM. Whatever you install should be the same RPM - within 25 or 40 RPM and the old motor. That is what drives the cutting speed of the blade.

I have a Delta 14" bandsaw, and mine came with a 1/2 HP motor...that didn't work very well, and was even worse when I put the riser kit on it. I bought a Grizzly 1 HP motor and put on it 9 years ago and it's worked well all that time. Still, If I was doing it over I think I would have went 1 1/2 HP.

This is a budget dictated upgrade... the 1 1/2 motor is twice 1 hp price... so not feasible... I've already order the 1 horse.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN

Well, I order the Grizzly 1 hp motor and received it Friday... had a craft show on Saturday, so couldn't put it on until Monday when a friend came over to help.. needed some one to hold the motor while I bolted it in place.. too heavy for this old man to hold up with one hand and put the bolts in with another... with friend's help the installation went smoothly... until we plugged it in and punched the on button to see how it ran... it ran backwards... duh!!, the motor hangs upside down under the saw... just had to reverse two wires and we're off to the races... runs smooth and cuts great.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN

Hard to argue with success!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    ... just had to reverse two wires and we're off to the races... runs smooth and cuts great.
    I guess that's easier than my solution, which would be to turn the whole saw upside down.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com