Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how too ?

how too ?

I want to turn a simple songle helix , I take itthe lathe needs to move slow but is there a guide to use ?
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

Can you post a picture of what you want to turn?

Ted this is a single, startingand ending point, see what I'm talking about.

Just for reference the table
    Last edited by Dave Hawksford; 12-01-2015 at 02:26 PM.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.

I believe those are done with a powered cutter, like a ball, on a duplicating machine. Or the piece is fixed and the helix is cut by hand with a rasp. However, if it can be done on a spinning lathe, I would like to know how.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

You know I have a genius Son Jarrod and a helper from SA between the 2 they can figure it out.

I believe low rpm and a good rasp could get it done, might need to start the groove by hand, but once started the rasp would follow the groove. I know I've seen it done, but may have to turn the lathe by hand to get it slow enough.

Here's a video where the guy used a hand wheel attached...
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Google carving spirals. Essentially what Frank said. There are five parts to Stuart's videos. I didn't post them all, but you can follow on YouTube. He's enjoyable to watch and makes it look very easy.

Last edited by Ted Calver; 12-01-2015 at 04:55 PM.

Dave, turning spirals in wood requires two timed movements. The turning of the lathe at a specific speed and a cutter (usually a router) moving on a horizontal axis. Here are some examples.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/how-t...the-lathe.aspx

The manufactured one (don't think it has been available now for years) was called a legacy lathe. http://legacywoodworking.com/ornamentalMilling.cfm

I have a pen wizard which is somewhat the same as a legacy mill only in miniature form.

Would think a metal lathe with a router for the cutter would do the job easiest. The difficult thing is the ability to keep reproducing the cut (so it can go deeper).
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Thanks All. When I get some time I will watch them all.

I wish I had my new CNC machine.

That entire table looks like a fun project.