What a great day!

Tom Baugues

I've been asked by the organizers of my local city to bring and play my street organ at a downtown Christmas themed event they have every year. It's called a "Dickens of a Christmas". I think I have done this event three or four times now. They post a schedule of the "performers" on the cities website and have always listed me and where I'll be with the organ. Today was the event.
I have always set up in front of a downtown theater each year. Today I was running a few minutes late, then the area I always park in was blocked off as they were using this area as a loading zone for the horse and carriage rides this year. So I ended up having to park about 4 blocks away. Anyway....by the time I got to the theater it was about 5 minutes after 10. As I turned the corner with my music cart I hear this lady say...."here he is". He's here! Ummm...what??? :eek: I was shocked to see about 7-8 people waiting on me to get there to see and hear the organ. The lady tells me that she had read that I was to be there at 10 am and was disappointed when they got there with their kids and I was not there. However she was so happy that I was indeed there now and was getting ready to play the organ. It took a couple minutes to get the monkeys set up and a roll of music loaded then I started cranking away. The smiles on everyone's faces was such a great start to what turned out to be a very blessed day.

I work everyday in an environment where I'm talked down to and well....not treated very well. It makes life seem very bleak when your treated like this day in and day out. So to suddenly have people show appreciation and admiration towards me is quite a change from what I encounter everyday. I'm not one to seek attention however the organ does draw a crowd.

The downtown streets were full of people today and I had the best time. People waving and singing along and the kids had a great time watching the monkeys dance around as the music played. I handed out candy canes as they all stopped by. Adults smiling and wishing me a good day. Many of them stopped and asked questions about the organ and were fascinated with its operation. People stopped to take photos of me and with me. One lady went across the street to a small diner and brought me back a cup of hot chocolate. She said...here...I got this for you! :eek: What??? I had no idea who she was. :huh:

I was very humbled today. We live in a great country. There are good people in this world. Having built this organ and being able to play it for the community allows me to share in the joy.

Tom

"There are good people in this world."....and you're one of them! Glad your fans didn't have to wait too long. A cup of hot chocolate and some happy faces. Ya gotta love it.:santa:

May you enjoy many more days like this. You deserve each and every one.

My thoughts exactly. Great to see that you had a wonderful day, Tom. :thumb: I know firsthand that seeing the appreciation and joy on people's faces (and getting a few kudos from the crowd) during and after a performance makes all the work to do it worthwhile.

Way to go Tom!!!!!!!!! Sorry to hear about your day job problems, but so glad you shared today with us!! A smile and kind word, may never know how it changes a person's day or outlook on life. God bless those kind people that are your fans. Don't know if you remember or knew, many were sorry you hadn't brought the organ to the Family Gathering this summer. Your craftsmanship and character are greatly appreciated and glad you are more aware of it now my friend!!!! Have you ever considered going into a nursing home on an afternoon with your organ and monkeys? Bet you would see ear to ear grins there also.

Great contribution to the season, Tom. But you have to get a monkey in a bellhop's suit, holding out a cup! :D

I've had jobs that I hated too, always because of the rectums I had to work with. I remember having fantasies about bringing a thermonuclear device into the office one day, then leaving early. Damn things are hard to get though. I hope you can find something better. Having met you, I can't imagine anyone talking down to you, or unkindly. Try to imagine the bastards in a clown suit when they talk to you. It helped me.

Tom,

You brought a bit of light an happiness to their day, its only fair that they brought a little back to yours. :thumb:

May you have many more days as good and better to come! There are a lot of folks out there who appreciate you, so write off the rest of them as not worth your worry.