Thread: Cabinet Door Repairs

Cabinet Door Repairs

My boss has two cabinet doors she's been trying to find a cabinet shop to re-produce as the hinge areas on them were broken out. None of the local shops were interested in messing with them or didn't have the bits needed, and she asked if I'd be willing to make them. After she described the issue I told her to bring me the exist doors an I'd see if I could do anything with them.

Here's what I came up with as the solution. I used a dado to clear out the existing tear-out, then fitted new pieces of MDF into them. To help join the new pieces to the doors on the butted edge, I went with a few dowels around the hinge areas to add extra support. I've probably used those dowel markers a handful of times, but boy do they work, got a perfect fit with them and a brad point bit.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-12-06 14.28.13.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	93682 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-12-06 14.27.49.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	93681 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-12-06 14.27.36.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	93680 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-12-06 14.27.30.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	93679

I had to order the detachable hinge router bit, should be here next week to finish things up.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

No satisfaction in a job that doesn't require a new tool.

Looks like a great solution, Darren! And keeping the boss happy is good, too!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Thanks guys, just took them out of the clamps and got good tight bonds everywhere. Will get them puttied up here and there, sanded down, seal the patches, and wait for the router bit to arrive this week. I have the feeling I'll be doing more for her in the future, those things aren't made very well in the first place.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Cool fix u could always offer to make her real doors with raised panel and wood frames for a fee

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    cheers

So Carol isn't the only one with a John Deere tractor, how is yours working out for you?:roll eyes:
    Great repair job by the way!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

So Carol isn't the only one with a John Deere tractor, how is yours working out for you?:roll eyes:
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

In hindsight don't u think it might have been better to put a piece of hardwood in there instead of MDF something like poplar given u going to paint them?

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    Ha, you know those green tractors, so easy to operate, even a 1 1/2 year old can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    In hindsight don't u think it might have been better to put a piece of hardwood in there instead of MDF something like poplar given u going to paint them?

It's what I had on hand and I don't think either will survive long term, but I think she'll remodel the kitchen before these wear out. I think she's mostly just wanting them fixed before her holiday party rolls around.
    Darren