Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My <$10 sharpening jig

My <$10 sharpening jig

This is the jig I use to get Irish grinds on my lathe tools. On the older one I made, with a slightly longer arm, I was able to do roughing gouges and traditional bowl gouge grinds as well, but I had to remake it last year and the piece of wood I had for the arm wasn't quite as long. I got the idea here and after watching Cap'n Eddie a few times, decided to try it out. It works fine. I only made one jig, a 45 one, and will probably play around with a 60 one next year. I've seen some detail gouges with a 35 angle too. I use the same jig for both 1/2" and 3/8" gouges.

Obviously, this is a posed picture, and the stone isn't moving.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jig01.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	149.4 KB 
ID:	93687 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jig02.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	141.6 KB 
ID:	93688 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jig03.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	135.4 KB 
ID:	93689

The leg is about 7" long, and, IIRC, I used my pencil sharpener to taper the leg at the bottom to prevent its tendency to fall out of the notch. I also ground a taper into the bottom of the eyebolt I use to tighten the tool, so it sits in the flute better.
    Last edited by Roger Tulk; 12-08-2015 at 06:51 PM.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Is that > sign 'less than' or 'greater than'? I can never remember. It's supposed to be less than, anyway.
    Cheers,
    Roger

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

> = greater than
    < = less than

The arrow points to the greater is how I remember it.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Roger I've seen Cap'n Eddie's video on this and have thought of making one myself but never did. I'll have to give it a try. Looks like yours works well.
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

That should work just as well as the fancy store bought ones. It's all about the angles and consistency. Good job, Roger.

I gotta make one of those
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Looks good.

In looking at the tool against the stone... musing.. do you use a depth stop jig to insure the length exposed is the same each time?
    If so then.... given 2" is exposed now and everything else remains the same wouldn't another stop depth at 2.25" have the tool contact the stone at a new angle...maybe 35-40* rather than 45*? Less exposed... maybe 1.75" would result in an angle more in the 55-60*?
    Seems like it would work to me and no need for another full jig; just different depth stops with the degree written on them would place the tip at higher or lower angle to the stone.
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mills View Post
    Looks good.

In looking at the tool against the stone... musing.. do you use a depth stop jig to insure the length exposed is the same each time?
    If so then.... given 2" is exposed now and everything else remains the same wouldn't another stop depth at 2.25" have the tool contact the stone at a new angle...maybe 35-40* rather than 45*? Less exposed... maybe 1.75" would result in an angle more in the 55-60*?
    Seems like it would work to me and no need for another full jig; just different depth stops with the degree written on them would place the tip at higher or lower angle to the stone.
    This is indeed important. The amount sticking out must be constant to have the same angle each time. I remember Captin Eddie making a simple little gauge out of small scraps of wood to ensure the 2" sticking out of the jig. Yes I suppose if you wanted different angles you could have many different gauges.
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

That'll work fine, Roger. The other comments regarding always having the same amount of the gouge sticking out of the jig are spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Reed View Post
    > = greater than
    < = less than

The arrow points to the greater is how I remember it.
    The point of the arrow points to the smaller of the two numbers. The wide part points to the bigger number. Your example is correct but the memory trick is reversed.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mills View Post
    Looks good.

I"m going to play with that a little when I start up again in the spring. I wrote to the designer, and he suggested moving the arm a little closer or farther away from the stone to change the angle of the grind, but I think the angle of the leg will affect the shape of the wings. I'll have to experiment a bit.

Oh, I've been measuring the distance the tool protrudes with a ruler, because I was too lazy to make a stop on my workbench. I may drill a 2" deep hole in the workbench if I have a suitable Forstner bit in my drill.
    Last edited by Roger Tulk; 12-08-2015 at 05:05 AM.
    Cheers,
    Roger