Domino - PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC

These Domino threads seem to always go south. I'm going to ask some pretty specific questions so please stay on topic. This is not a loaded question and I have no agenda here. Just looking for information. I don't want this to turn ugly.

I am thinking about selling my Kreg pocket hole jig and PC biscuit joiner to help finance a Domino. I know selling them won't come close to providing the funds to buy it but it would soften the blow a little. My question is:

Would there be any reason why I would regret getting rid of either of these two tools? In other words, is there any functionality that the biscuit joiner or pocket hole jig provides that the Domino would not?

Just to qualify a little bit, my upcoming projects include a lot of built-in cabinetry using both hardwood and sheet goods. Tables and bookshelves also. I also have a lot of shop projects on my plate.

Do not factor cost into this discussion. Let's keep it to functionality only.

If I only built fine furniture I might do what you are thinking about doing. But for what you are planning on doing I would never give up my pocket hole jig. I think that you would regret giving it up but I suppose that you are the only one that knows how much that you use it.

I will qualify my statement with the fact that I do not have the Domino but I have seen their videos and am basing my statement on what I see there. If it were me and I really wanted a Domino I would just save up a bit longer and keep my pocket hole tools.

Last edited:
Ditto what Alan said....

I just finished demolition and prep for granite countertop installation in my kitchen. I added framing to the exhisting cabinet carcasses, and shelfing below. My Kreg pocket jig was indispensible in doing this. I think you would soon regret selling it.

To know if you'd regret losing arguably two of the most popular/useful/pervasive tools in most woodworkers shops, you really need to look at your reasons for buying the Domino.

A solid and deeply honest evaluation of your decision to buy it is in order, I would think. Pro/Con lists are still very helpful to me.

Is it more useful than what you have now?
Can it be financially justified?
Do you want it because it's cool?
Does it's coolness outweighing it's usefulness?
Will it perform better than what you have now?
Will it save you time?
Will it increase the quality of your work?
Can it be done cheaper?
Can it be done with your existing tools?
Will your use of it last you? (This is a tricky one)

These are the obvious ones. There are a ton more, but i'll get a cramp from typing 'em all.

Bottom line for me is to assess the reasoning behind the desire first. Then after that, I deliberately try to talk myself out of it. If I can't find reasonable justification, i don't buy it.

I do things weird, though. People get annoyed when I'm walking through a store with just one thing in my hand. If I think twice about it for even half a second, I put it down and leave. If i later decide to get it, the same exercise happens. People hate that about me, sometimes.

I've been writing all of this with this nagging thought that i've tried to avoid, but think it's worth mentioning even a little. I sure hope it doesn't incite the natives. This Domino thing sure seems like a nifty invention. But i've never been an early adopter. When new stuff comes out, I see lots of people flock to buy 'em and that's great. It's just not me. I feel somehow "sheeplike" if i succumb to those impulses. If I can't justify something I want, ususally this is the real reason I want it. I try very hard to avoid letting those reasons lead me down a path I may regret in the end.

Hopefully, you've already been down this process, or whatever process works for you. But my opinion is that a Kreg Jig and a PC Biscuit joiner are time-tested devices that perform incredibly useful tasks very quickly. I wouldn't like it if I replaced them with a Domino and discovered that the thing cost me more (time and $$) to use in those handy quick setups that the Kreg took care of for pennies and seconds.

Gut? Nah, it's a trendy device to me. I'll wait till 3-4 other people make one and get the price down. Besides, I wouldn't use it enough to justify the current price, much less half that.

Currently I have no interest in the Domino.

And I do not plan on getting rid of my pocket cutters, and biscuit jointer.

Hey Rob,
To get back on topic, I can't think of any functionality that a biscuit jointer or pocket screws have that the domino wouldn't, except maybe Greg's example of working on something already installed, but even that could probably be done.

The smallest domino is 5mm, which can get into a pretty small space. If you are looking at face frames and shelves, there are lots of examples of how to do that with a domino at the www.festoolusa.com or www.festoolownersgroup.com.

I never was a big fan of biscuits or pocket hole screws. I had the tools, but they pretty much sat there and gathered dust. After I bought the domino, I sold the biscuit jointer and if I can ever find the kreg stuff:rolleyes: , it goes too. I wind up using my domino on just about every project I do.

I have an excellent biscuit joiner and would give it up way before my pocket hole jig. On the other hand if you have the full blown, bench mounted version, you could pick up a mini or a Rocket reasonably.

This of course assumes you are doing work that would be appropriate for pocket holes; a quick cabinet would be appropriate, a Maloof rocker knock-off would not:rofl:

I've read some good reasons to keep the pocket hole jig. The biggest is the "no clamps or waiting for the glue to dry" function of it. I do agree with that and for that reason, I am leaning toward keeping it.

The biscuit joiner? Haven't read a good enough reason to keep it.

Uh...I think Bart was honestly asking if you need the functions of the Domino, that you don't have now, and that is the reason you want to buy it...and the reason you posted this thread. No?

Uh...I think Bart was honestly asking if you need the functions of the Domino, that you don't have now, and that is the reason you want to buy it...and the reason you posted this thread. No?

No. My reasons for posting was to get feedback on the following question:

Would there be any reason why I would regret getting rid of either of these two tools? In other words, is there any functionality that the biscuit joiner or pocket hole jig provides that the Domino would not?

I'm not asking anyone if I should buy the Domino. I'm simply asking if I should keep those other two tools. Whether or not I should buy the Domino is not up for debate.

EDIT: Thanks to those of you who are sticking to the topic. There really is some helpful info in this thread.

Last edited:
To the original poster: I have all three...plus a dowelmax. I certainly feel a tremendous overlap in the domino and a biscuit joiner. Anything I can do with a biscuit joiner, I can do better with a domino. As for the Kreg Jig, there are just some things I would never bother doing with a domino because I can do them faster and in my opinion, more accurately with the Kreg jig.

Let me be specific here, as this is by no means a question of the accuracy of the domino...the specific case I'm referring to, is attaching a cabinet base to an apron. Doing it with a domino would require alot of measuring, marking, aligning, clamping, gluing. Doing it with the Kreg jig takes 5 minutes and it's done.

With the domino, I can align panels much better than with a biscuit. As the biscuits are designed to swell, there is always some slop in the joint you have to take into account. The domino has a setting for mortise width to allow for side to side alignment, but up and down is fixed solid and the alignment issues would be operator error, not tool limitation.

My opinion would be, if I had to dump one of them, get rid of the biscuit joiner. I would, however, keep the Kreg jig. It's too easy and versatile and because there is no glueup, it's faster in applications where you just want to quickly join wood.

If you have any application specific questions regarding any of those tools vs the domino, let me know.

Kreg Jig - good purchase
Domino - good purchase
Biscuit Joiner - limited usefulness
Dowelmax - redundant, but good purchase and has allowed me to put a dowel in where I couldn't index the domino, specifically in joining and apron to a bracket foot.

All things in their place, and a place for all things.

Tom in Alberta

rob, years ago when portercable first coppied lamello and made a biscuit joiner i just had to have one....you know best thing since sliced bread.....well i used it for a while trying to justify my purchase to myself....after a short while it ended up under the bench.....then in the storage room...finally i realized that i`d just wasted the money and sold the darn thing instead of trying to find ways to justify its existance...
soooooo, where i you i`d keep a pocket hole system and if you want the domino then cut a check......i`ve never used one so can offer no first hand experience other than my biscuit joiner experience...make sure it`s a tool you`ll use before you buy it.......tod

I'm not asking anyone if I should buy the Domino. I'm simply asking if I should keep those other two tools. Whether or not I should buy the Domino is not up for debate.

Ah, thanks for clarifying your original post...:doh:

Go ahead and get the Domino and forget you have the pocket jig and biscuit joiner. If you find you just can't do a job with the Domino, consider bring the pocket/biscuit tool out of storage. If after 6 months they are still packed away, sell them then.

Go ahead and get the Domino and forget you have the pocket jig and biscuit joiner. If you find you just can't do a job with the Domino, consider bring the pocket/biscuit tool out of storage. If after 6 months they are still packed away, sell them then.

At the rate I get projects done, your six months may be my two years. I get your point, though. Good advice.

Hi Rob,

I can’t really comment on the pocket hole jig. A few weeks ago I bought a pocket hole jig from a European manufacturer that is quite similar to the Kreg Rocket jig. So far, this technique hasn’t convinced me yet. It didn’t meet my expectations – at least not when working with softwood (pine).
As for the biscuit joiner, there are a few applications it handles but the Domino doesn’t.
- Combined with a special cutter, a biscuit joiner can be used to cut slots for patches.
- A biscuit joiner enables you to cut shadow joints.
- A range of hinges and connectors (size #20 biscuit) is available from Knapp and Lamello. As far as I know, Festool is working on some connectors.
- Equipped with certain accessories, Lamello biscuit joiners can be used as edge trimmers.

Hope this helps,

Christian

rob, years ago when portercable first coppied lamello and made a biscuit joiner i just had to have one....you know best thing since sliced bread.....well i used it for a while trying to justify my purchase to myself....after a short while it ended up under the bench.....then in the storage room...finally i realized that i`d just wasted the money and sold the darn thing instead of trying to find ways to justify its existance...
soooooo, where i you i`d keep a pocket hole system and if you want the domino then cut a check......i`ve never used one so can offer no first hand experience other than my biscuit joiner experience...make sure it`s a tool you`ll use before you buy it.......tod

Tod and I have had the same experience with the PC biscuit joiner. Mine hangs on the wall of one of my shop rooms collecting dust (and I make a lot). I use it every now and then for joining odd face frames or table tops but, for the most part it's a dionsaur...