Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What I have been up to

What I have been up to

Well I havent had a lot of time to be on the FWW lately and thought I should start showing ya'all why.
    I am getting the ground ready for 1000 Blueberries and 500 Blackberries

First pile of mulch = 112yards
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2491.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	93711Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2493.jpg 
Size:	145.9 KB 
ID:	93712

Then till it drag the dirt out till again and dump mulch in the 4' wide ditch then till it cover it up and till again

Name:	100_2500.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	93713Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2512.jpg 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	93714Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2513.jpg 
Size:	125.4 KB 
ID:	93715
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

That little pile out there is all that was left of the 112 yds and only 4 rows of the 14 needed the rows are 275'

Name:	100_2501.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	93716

So I had another 225 yds delivered Saturday.

Name:	100_2502.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	93717Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2503.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	93718Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2504.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	93719Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2505.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	93720Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2506.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	115.1 KB 
ID:	93721Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2507.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	93722Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2508.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	93723Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2509.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	93724Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2510.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	93725

Now Back to work........
    A Turn N Time

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Where is all this mulch coming from? Maybe a little bovine manurae is in order.

That is a LOT of mulch! Also blueberries are awesome! Road trip to Jays in about... 2 years when they're really starting to produce

How's your base soil PH? Do you think you'll need to do anything to further acidify it for the blueberries?

When I was in washington the soil was around 8-8.5, you could pour vinegar on it and have it foam. Regular peat and mulch didn't cut it so we pre-treated with vinegar and sulfur mixed in and let sit for a while and then top treated periodically with aluminum sulfate and they were able to kind of eek by but it wasn't the best blueberry territory. Blackberries though, blackberries will grow anywhere there's water and a bit of sun in the summer I believe.

Man i envy you. Now you going to be able to step out the shop and eat breakfast.
    cheers

I am amazed by farming. Certainly not my idea of fun, but still it is an amazing operation.

The scenery is fantastic. No hills and you can see for miles and miles. I can see that, but only on the ocean, not on land.

Cool post.

Great idea, Jay. In my neck of the woods you would have to sell a heck of a lot of cigar box guitars to pay for all that mulch. Will they be open to the public pick your own, or are you gonna put the missus to work? I can see the display of Frog Pond jams and jellies right next to the CBG's!
    Last edited by Ted Calver; 12-09-2015 at 03:23 PM.

What varieties are you going with? I've been contemplating putting out some berries. Not on that scale but maybe 200 blueberries. My uncle has several varieties of the "Indian" blackberries and they do really well. They get a big as the end of your thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by David Johnson View Post
    Where is all this mulch coming from? Maybe a little bovine manurae is in order.
    Dave it is coming from the Springfield yard waste they made me a heck of a deal so far I have had 336yd hauled in. Trucking is what hurts 12 loads so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    That is a LOT of mulch! Also blueberries are awesome! Road trip to Jays in about... 2 years when they're really starting to produce

How's your base soil PH? Do you think you'll need to do anything to further acidify it for the blueberries?
    Come on down Ryan would be glad to have ya
    Soil test so far shows 4.8 right where you want it but the mulch will more the likely bring that up and will have to do some souring that is why I cant plant until next fall it may take that long to get it balanced. I have to put 15 to 18 inch of mulch in each row to get enough amendments in the soil

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Voisine View Post
    I am amazed by farming. Certainly not my idea of fun, but still it is an amazing operation.

The scenery is fantastic. No hills and you can see for miles and miles. I can see that, but only on the ocean, not on land.

Cool post.
    I was a Dairy farmer before I got in to Aircraft work Leo I had a milking hear of 200 with a total of 650 head and farmed 2500 acres. For me living in town was the hardest thing I ever did and made me the most miserable I have ever been in my life. Setting on the tractor working this berry patch up is by far the most relaxing thing I have done in 30 years. I sure missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Great idea, Jay. In my neck of the woods you would have to sell a heck of a lot of cigar box guitars to pay for all that mulch. Will they be open to the public pick your own, or are you gonna put the missus to work?
    Its going to be a U-Pick ..........Wife is already complaining about having to work and so far she has only help lay the rows out

Quote Originally Posted by John Daugherty View Post
    What varieties are you going with? I've been contemplating putting out some berries. Not on that scale but maybe 200 blueberries. My uncle has several varieties of the "Indian" blackberries and they do really well. They get a big as the end of your thumb.
    Havent locked that in yet John I am dealing with a guy up in Mi in the Grand Rapids area and will use what he suggests. I wont be ordering plants until around May for a fall planting.
    A Turn N Time

Frog Pond Guitars

What is the lead time on blueberries? I know that where I pick the bushes are fifteen years old, but I'm not sure how long it took for them to be bearing in useful amounts. Looks good, Jay!
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood