Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a computer guru to explain FTP software and usage to me please. Anyone?

I need a computer guru to explain FTP software and usage to me please. Anyone?

I've been using a FTP (File Transfer Protocol) program for many years now but suddenly something is not right. I have questions. Does anyone here know about FTP programs?
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

I'm no IT guru but I've a lot of ftp over the years. No matter what version of Windows I was on at the time, the most successful ftp product I've ever used is WS_FTP LE.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

What issues are you having? What software?

I use either command line or filezilla (https://filezilla-project.org/download.php) almost daily.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I've been using FLING. The newspaper that I send files to (photos) tell me that my files are coming to them individually instead of in a folder. I put all the photos that I need to send into a folder and select that folder and send it to them but they tell me they show up individually. If I have covered a large event such as a sporting event I could have several hundred images that I'm sending. That makes it difficult for them to catch all of them.
    I'm thinking of trying different ftp software. I have seen filezilla. When going to their site to download the software it asks if I want to download software as a client or server. I assume I want to choose client since I'm sending images to them only???????

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Baugues View Post
    I've been using FLING. The newspaper that I send files to (photos) tell me that my files are coming to them individually instead of in a folder. I put all the photos that I need to send into a folder and select that folder and send it to them but they tell me they show up individually. If I have covered a large event such as a sporting event I could have several hundred images that I'm sending. That makes it difficult for them to catch all of them.
    I'm thinking of trying different ftp software. I have seen filezilla. When going to their site to download the software it asks if I want to download software as a client or server. I assume I want to choose client since I'm sending images to them only???????
    Correct, you'd just need the client. It's pretty much drag/drop based. So you'd setup your connection, then on the left hand side is your local files, and on the right you'd see the ftp's folder/files once connected. You can drag a local file or folder over and it would take care of making sure the folder was re-created on the ftp side and move any files within the folder at the same time.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Pretty sure Darren covered it, but I've been using Filezilla for many years. Great program.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Another Filezilla user here. You can also drag and drop from Windows Explorer directly onto the remote site. (Although it's been so long, I don't remember if there was an extra plugin or something necessary to make that possible.)

Lately though, I've not been able to connect to several of the sites I manage. I've not had the time to really figure out what the problem is. Instead, I find other ways to transfer the files (typically though the Bluehost Control Panel, which is pretty clunky compared to Filezilla.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Ok thanks guys. I will give FileZilla a try. I'm not the most savy computer user. Once things are set up I'm fine but trouble shooting issues and just getting things set up can be a challenge for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Baugues View Post
    Ok thanks guys. I will give FileZilla a try. I'm not the most savy computer user. Once things are set up I'm fine but trouble shooting issues and just getting things set up can be a challenge for me.
    Check with the publisher on the filezilla/ftp settings to see if maybe they are requiring a specific encryption type or if they've gone to a different protocol (SFTP vs. FTP), you'll see these settings in the connection setup. Most likely this is what has changed that has broken your old software.
    Darren

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Lately though, I've not been able to connect to several of the sites I manage. I've not had the time to really figure out what the problem is. Instead, I find other ways to transfer the files (typically though the Bluehost Control Panel, which is pretty clunky compared to Filezilla.)
    Two ideas, Vaughn.

1) most sites have turned of FTP altogether as it is a security hole. They only support SSH and related encrypted copying tools. This is confusing to people as they still use the traditional "FTP" client, but it is not using the FTP protocol to do the copying any more. If your server has stopped supporting FTP then you need to make sure that your client is set to use the SSH protocol

2) One of the hosts I deal with has changed the default network "port" as a way to make it harder for hackers. So they have advertised to their clients what port they do use, and again, we need to tweak our FTP/SSH software so that it uses the other port number.

...art
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood