Osprey CNC

Leo Voisine

Well,

This is the first of "hopefully" many videos on my new channel - Leo's Workshop

I am having some issues with drivers for the USB port to the machine, so I cannot operate it yet.
frown.gif

But - you can get a walk around of the machine.

Last edited:
That is a beast of a machine Leo. Those gantry sides appear to be cast and machined. Looking forward to seeing this run. :lurk:

Check under your device manager to see if the controller is being recognized by windows when you plugin the usb or unplug it. If not, then I'd say try another USB cable, maybe try that anyway, also try another usb port on the computer itself.

Last edited:
That is a beast of a machine Leo. Those gantry sides appear to be cast and machined. Looking forward to seeing this run. :lurk:

Check under your device manager to see if the controller is being recognized by windows when you plugin the usb or unplug it. If not, then I'd say try another USB cable, maybe try that anyway, also try another usb port on the computer itself.

Yes it shows up in the device manager. When I unplug it goes away, and appears when I plug it in.

I am suspect of a faulty BOB at this point. I think the machine was dropped in shipment. The steel skid was a bit mangled.

They should send me a new BOB and I will just swap it out.

The rest of the machine appears to be sound.

I don't think this is a big deal - just a delay.

Yeah, I think they are cast.

The controller board does show up in device manager. It goes away when I unplug and reappears when I plug in.

I am just waiting to hear from China. They are 12 hours time difference, so communication is slow at best.

This is not a show stopper - just a time delay.

So, I have this huge toy and I cannot play with it.

Nice tour Leo. That is one heck of a machine for the value. Sorry to hear of the issue with USB but it will get sorted in time I guess.
Still amazes me that they have no manual.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Saw a thread here with your error message, might compare the version of the NcUsbPod.dll file you have in the mach3/plugins folder with what is current on their downloads page....

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/machines-running-mach-software/279180-cnc-software.html

http://www.cdxhctech.com/html/Driver/view_161.html

Edit: Saw Annie posted on the 3dSignForum to help you, I'm sure they'll have it figured out in no time. :wave:

I have several sources helping me through this. I am not afraid to ask for help.

I did download the drivers from cdxhctech, but that did not resolve the problem.

I have tried a few versions of NcUsbPod.dll

Thanks for the zone post, I will read that tonight. At least I know I am not the only one and that is just some settings or something. I am looking in the right place too.

I have several things to try tonight.

Thank you - I really do appreciate you looking for answers.

One BIG reason I bought from this company is because of the number of people on 3DsignForum that have gone before me. They give it great reviews. Once I am past the software stuff, I will do so also.

I have the spindle and all axis motion, including rotary.

I made my first cut on Oak with a 1/2 cutter, manually with the hand controller.

I just need to convert the machine to inch now, and calibrate it. I think also some fine tuning of alignment of the "Z" axis perpendicularity to the table top.

Coming up to speed
proud.gif

It was all in the drivers and settings.

I am going through calibration and conversion to imperial (inch).

This machine is beginning to really impress me.

I cannot believe how solid it is. I am not really impressed with the table top, at least yet. It is just not as robust as the rest of the machine.

I think I like my iMach pendant from Vista better. I might swap that out, and sell the XHc with the other machine.

Maybe I will put the shuttle pro on the old machine and sell the Xhc online.

Just not sure yet.

I think I am about ready for a simple test program.

So -- Today I am extatic - excited - giddy - on top of the world. :headbang::nana: :five:

It was all in the drivers and settings.

I am going through calibration and conversion to imperial (inch).

This machine is beginning to really impress me.

I cannot believe how solid it is. I am not really impressed with the table top, at least yet. It is just not as robust as the rest of the machine.

I think I like my iMach pendant from Vista better. I might swap that out, and sell the XHc with the other machine.

Maybe I will put the shuttle pro on the old machine and sell the Xhc online.

Just not sure yet.

I think I am about ready for a simple test program.

So -- Today I am extatic - excited - giddy - on top of the world. :headbang::nana: :five:

Love to hear this....Pictures or even movies.:score:

Whoaaaa Doggy,

I just cut a 22" circle with a 1/2 end mill at 250 inches per minute.

I switched over to a 1/8 end mill and pocketed out Diane 20" wide and 12 inches high at 300 Inches per minute.

I am just blown away.

Speed is by NO means maximum. It's just that "I" am beyond maximum. I need to get used to this. My old machine is no where near as fast. Right now, to me, the machine is scary fast. I work with fast machines every day, so, I am used to it a little bit.

RPM was around 12,000 I see no reason to max out spindle RPM.

I went on to a 1/2 90 degree "V" bit at 250 IPM to engrave a couple of 2D butterflies.

I did a oops and plunged the "V" bit 1/2 to 5/8 deep into the MDF, instead is .030 deep, and the machine started to wail away at the MDF, full throttle. The machine didn't seem to notice the oops and just went on it's merry way, no damage or even strain. I stopped it and fixed my oops.

I'll do a couple of videos tomorrow.

I didn't see any degradation in the corners due to axis change. I do have the acceleration tuned pretty conservatively.

I want to do some more tuning and calibration. They I want to do some reliability and repeatability testing.

At this point, I cannot understand why Cammaster of Shopbot will cost 4+ times more for an equivalent machine. Sure, they will have a better paint job, and they will deburr the sheet metal, but what else?