Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seasonal Question

Seasonal Question

Any of you of the more senior persuasion remember sitting by the radio each afternoon after school to listen to "The Adventures of the Cinnamon Bear"? It was played every year between Thanksgiving and Christmas. First aired in 1937. I must have listened to it in the later 40's, early 50's. It just popped into my rusty mind today. It still is available to listen to on the internet.
    "We the People ......"

I don't remember that one. I think it was because I had to hang around school and didn't have access to a radio. My dad was the elementary school principal and I rode to and from school with him. He went in early and usually worked until five. I remember cranking the handle on the mimeograph machine to print school flyers and classroom aids, addressing envelopes for the Kiwanis news letter and all kind of other schooly stuff.

I do remember Smilin' Ed's Buster Brown Gang and Big John and Sparky on Saturday mornings. Smilin' Ed had Froggy the Gremlin and Midnight the cat and a few other characters. All I remember from Big John was the theme song Teddy Bears Picnic.

Those were simpler times....
    Last edited by Ted Calver; 12-11-2015 at 10:10 PM. Reason: spell principal right :)

I'd like to thank you both for making me feel young. I've not heard of any of the radio shows you're talking about.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I'd like to thank you both for making me feel young. I've not heard of any of the radio shows you're talking about.

You young whippersnapper! You did have a crystal set though, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    You young whippersnapper! You did have a crystal set though, right?
    I sure did. I had a headset with only one earpiece so I could wear it when I went to sleep with music.

High Tech man. The other kids in the neighborhood were jealous because I had my own personal radio and could go to sleep with music. The crystal sets I had (and later made for other kids) would only play one station---and you didn't mess with it. It might take 15 minutes to get the "cat's whisker" to touch the crystal in the right place with the correct pressure to get a station---So when you got one, you kept it.

Enjoy,
    JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

There are quite a few on youtube Paul

Download YTD Video Downloader (free version) and save them to your computer.

Don't remember that one or the ones Ted mentioned. Then again I'm only 66 far too young to remember what you old guys do
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Well Paul I had radio only until 1975 But that was a different continent so none of those radio programs. We did have a show called Koobi the bear sponsored by Koo canned fruits and juices. I even ended up with my own Koobi bear toy bear.

And yup did have a crystal radio except a more modern one than the crystal type ,mine used a diode and had a variable cap to make it tuneable. That was in a time when our gov passed a law making it illegal to listen to broadcasts from outside our borders and the Johnny reb in me said I'll show ya.lol

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    cheers

Faith, Hope & Charity

I had a crystal radio. Came as a kit I put together. It worked. Then I moved up to the next one that you wrapped wire around a toilet paper roll or something like that, and moved a piece of thin metal along it to tune in different stations. I do not know what they were called. They were great fun to tinker with. Yep, went to sleep with my little headset.
    "We the People ......"