Seasonal Question

Paul Douglass

Any of you of the more senior persuasion remember sitting by the radio each afternoon after school to listen to "The Adventures of the Cinnamon Bear"? It was played every year between Thanksgiving and Christmas. First aired in 1937. I must have listened to it in the later 40's, early 50's. It just popped into my rusty mind today. It still is available to listen to on the internet.

I don't remember that one. I think it was because I had to hang around school and didn't have access to a radio. My dad was the elementary school principal and I rode to and from school with him. He went in early and usually worked until five. I remember cranking the handle on the mimeograph machine to print school flyers and classroom aids, addressing envelopes for the Kiwanis news letter and all kind of other schooly stuff.

I do remember Smilin' Ed's Buster Brown Gang and Big John and Sparky on Saturday mornings. Smilin' Ed had Froggy the Gremlin and Midnight the cat and a few other characters. All I remember from Big John was the theme song Teddy Bears Picnic.

Those were simpler times....

Last edited:
I'd like to thank you both for making me feel young. I've not heard of any of the radio shows you're talking about. :D

You young whippersnapper!:D You did have a crystal set though, right?

I sure did. I had a headset with only one earpiece so I could wear it when I went to sleep with music.

High Tech man. The other kids in the neighborhood were jealous because I had my own personal radio and could go to sleep with music. The crystal sets I had (and later made for other kids) would only play one station---and you didn't mess with it. It might take 15 minutes to get the "cat's whisker" to touch the crystal in the right place with the correct pressure to get a station---So when you got one, you kept it.

Enjoy,
JimB

Well Paul I had radio only until 1975 :) But that was a different continent so none of those radio programs. We did have a show called Koobi the bear sponsored by Koo canned fruits and juices. I even ended up with my own Koobi bear toy bear. :)

And yup did have a crystal radio except a more modern one than the crystal type ,mine used a diode and had a variable cap to make it tuneable. That was in a time when our gov passed a law making it illegal to listen to broadcasts from outside our borders and the Johnny reb in me said I'll show ya.lol

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I had a crystal radio. Came as a kit I put together. It worked. Then I moved up to the next one that you wrapped wire around a toilet paper roll or something like that, and moved a piece of thin metal along it to tune in different stations. I do not know what they were called. They were great fun to tinker with. Yep, went to sleep with my little headset.

A codger here, but don't remember any of the shows mentioned either... most I remember on the radio was "The Lone Ranger", "Hopalong Cassidy" and "The Shadow".... No crystal set either, only radio I remember us having as a youngster was a big box on the side table that had a large battery...the houses we lived in had no electricity..... kids weren't allowed to touch it until Dad or Mom were present. We were share croppers back then, so not a lot of money in the house for the more "frivolous" things.

I think I was into my teens before I had my own personal radio. I know I was 14 or 15 when we got our first TV, a used console that Mom bought after she and Dad separated and she was working nights.

The neighbor down the street helped me build a crystal radio. It would receive 3 or 4 stations. Los Angeles was a very active broadcast area. I went on to build 1 tube radios, then Raython released a transistor to market and I used that to build a 1 transistor radio. Battarys were a lot cheaper for transistor radios.

I remember Midnight the cat, and Buster Brown, The shadow, Green Hornet

Bill

I'm with Vaughn here but I do remember sitting and listing to Hitch kickers guide to the Galaxy with a group of friends in the early 80's & Harrison Keller.

I think you mean Garrison Keillor

He is still on the radio - I listen to him on NPR on the weekend. Even saw him live.

He has the Prairie Home Compaion
http://prairiehome.org/

He is retiring and will not be on the air any longer.

Vaughn said it earlier, but I was thinking it anyway. It is worth repeating.

THANK YOU - for making me "feel" young.

At 62, I do remember the older kids in the neighborhood in the late 50's with crystal radios. I remember the old Philco record player

I remember - The Shadow Knows
Who Knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Last edited:
Okay to keep the list going, don't forget:

The Green Hornet
Lone Ranger
Sky King
Sargent Preston of the Yukon
Amos and Andy
Wild Bill Hickok with Jingles "Hey Wild Bill, wait for me!"
The Cisco Kid

I can't believe no one knows about "The Cinnamon Bear". Just before 4pm each day you would hear moms in the neighbor yelling for the kids to come in The Cinnamon Bear was coming on.

Last edited:
Ok, I just joined so I don't know my way around here very well, but I'd like to add this -

I don't remember listening to much on the radio except for "The Lone Ranger", but do any of you remember early television?

Like -

Beanie and Cecil?

Kookla, Fran, and Ollie?

Howdy Doody, Clarabell, and Buffalo Bob?

Captain Video?

All four if these kids shows were on New York TV in the early 1950's. I can remember watching them on a 3 1/2" TV screen with a magnifying glass attached to the front of the screen to "kind of" make the screen seem bigger. The TV set was made by Pilot Radio and Television. We lived 40 miles North of NY so the pictures on this tiny TV was more snow (lack of adequate signal) than picture, but my sister and I would watch as long as we could at least see the shapes of people through the snow.

Charley