Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Pinball!

Pinball!

Recently a co-worker started a virtual pinball system build. He posted a quick movie on FB showing the main menu and back screen working together. He's building a full scale pinball using about a 40" tv for the play field monitor and a 24" for the back screen. His is very much similar to this one.

I've gotten hooked on playing the games on my computer and have decided to go ahead and build a mini table. I picked up a 27" computer monitor for my play field monitor and have a 17" for my back screen which has attached speakers below it. I'm looking to make it similar to this one, but a little more simple, no sub-woofer and complex lighting, just a computer, the two monitors, an Arduino for the button controls, and some fans.

Digipin build: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/inde...topic=120248.0

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	93781

I also came across a decent build blog of one that lists everything needed and steps in building one. Some of it I've learned is a littel outdated software wise, but a good overview: http://www.davesclassicarcade.com/vpinball/vpinball.html
    Last edited by Darren Wright; 12-26-2015 at 06:56 PM.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

That looks amazing, but can it really play like a real pinball machine?

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Way cool!
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

You are a trouble maker.

Stu, The physics are amazing. They can build in accelerometers to detect 'bumping' as well. They sure look convincing.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

You could learn to be a pinball wizard with a set up like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    That looks amazing, but can it really play like a real pinball machine?
    Pretty darned close, as Brent mentioned some of the controllers have accelerometers and digital plungers to simulate real play. There are tilt mechanisms for picking up hard movements. I'll be wiring a couple of extra buttons next to my paddle buttons for nudging via keyboard commands, but plan to add the accelerometer at some point.

https://store.nanotechent.com/index....&product_id=64

There are hundreds of tables available for free download, which the designers have measured and recreated original tables down to every little detail. The two emulators I plan to use are Future Pinball (futurepinball.com) and Visual Pinball (vpforums.com). I'm using a program called PinballX to tie them all together, it's a main menu that you setup all the games in and it will launch the emulator needed. Tables for both are on the vpforums.com site. Both emulators are also design software for building your own tables. Future pinball seems to be easier to get setup and playing, can play on your computer, but you may want to use a dedicated pc as the program does need administrative rights. The graphics aren't quite as good as the visual pinball, but table setups can be a little more complex for it.
    Last edited by Darren Wright; 12-17-2015 at 04:40 PM.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    this opens up a whole new world. Just imagine a coffee table with a pinball game built into the top. Combine woodworking with electronics. I remember sitting around in bars when I was younger with the table having a built in vidio game and who hasn't sat around the bar in Vegas playing poker or keno in the bar top.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Some of these folks really get into making them appear real, putting solenoids, motors, and shakers inside to make it feel like the mechanics are really in there.
    Darren

One thing I was never good at , that and holding a wheelie on my bike.
    Last edited by Dave Hawksford; 12-18-2015 at 01:19 PM.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

I hope you meant to type wheelie ...