Pinball!

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Recently a co-worker started a virtual pinball system build. He posted a quick movie on FB showing the main menu and back screen working together. He's building a full scale pinball using about a 40" tv for the play field monitor and a 24" for the back screen. His is very much similar to this one.

I've gotten hooked on playing the games on my computer and have decided to go ahead and build a mini table. I picked up a 27" computer monitor for my play field monitor and have a 17" for my back screen which has attached speakers below it. I'm looking to make it similar to this one, but a little more simple, no sub-woofer and complex lighting, just a computer, the two monitors, an Arduino for the button controls, and some fans.

Digipin build: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=120248.0

2.jpg

I also came across a decent build blog of one that lists everything needed and steps in building one. Some of it I've learned is a littel outdated software wise, but a good overview: http://www.davesclassicarcade.com/vpinball/vpinball.html

Last edited:
You are a trouble maker.

Stu, The physics are amazing. They can build in accelerometers to detect 'bumping' as well. They sure look convincing.

That looks amazing, but can it really play like a real pinball machine?

Pretty darned close, as Brent mentioned some of the controllers have accelerometers and digital plungers to simulate real play. There are tilt mechanisms for picking up hard movements. I'll be wiring a couple of extra buttons next to my paddle buttons for nudging via keyboard commands, but plan to add the accelerometer at some point.

https://store.nanotechent.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=64

There are hundreds of tables available for free download, which the designers have measured and recreated original tables down to every little detail. The two emulators I plan to use are Future Pinball (futurepinball.com) and Visual Pinball (vpforums.com). I'm using a program called PinballX to tie them all together, it's a main menu that you setup all the games in and it will launch the emulator needed. Tables for both are on the vpforums.com site. Both emulators are also design software for building your own tables. Future pinball seems to be easier to get setup and playing, can play on your computer, but you may want to use a dedicated pc as the program does need administrative rights. The graphics aren't quite as good as the visual pinball, but table setups can be a little more complex for it.

Last edited:
this opens up a whole new world. Just imagine a coffee table with a pinball game built into the top. Combine woodworking with electronics. I remember sitting around in bars when I was younger with the table having a built in vidio game and who hasn't sat around the bar in Vegas playing poker or keno in the bar top.

Some of these folks really get into making them appear real, putting solenoids, motors, and shakers inside to make it feel like the mechanics are really in there.

And it begins, well the woodworking part anyway. I started to go with mdf, then decided I'd use birch ply, but when I got to the borg today, they had some maple ply and thought it would look a whole lot more authentic for a vintage looking machine, which is the look I'm trying for.

I went with mitered corners for the front. The bottom is 1/2" baltic birch, set into a dado all the way around. This is just a quick dry fit, I'm waiting on arcade buttons to arrive to mill out holes for them before doing any assembly.
2015-12-20 16.21.43.jpg2015-12-20 18.51.03.jpg2015-12-20 18.51.15.jpg

I did make one mis-calculation on the width, my pc's front cover is 15 1/2" tall and I only made the inside 15" wide. However the case itself is just under 15", so my plan is to leave the face of the computer sticking out the back of the cabinet, which actually works out well for getting to the power button.

For button's lights, I plan to pull power from the computers power supply, since it supplies both 5v and 12v. I found this adapter plate which can plugin and give me power ports on the back of the computer.
s-l300.jpg
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301816190462

I've gotten a little further with the software side, have about 250 different game tables downloaded. Each table requires some tweaking to make it look good on my screens, so will work on those after I get things setup in the cabinet. Some will go away, but not finding many I don't like to play. :)

Last edited:
Made a little progress, but been waiting on parts to arrive all day.

I got my monitor supports added, still need to do some shaping on them and add some shims to keep the monitor centered.
2015-12-21 17.17.43.jpg 2015-12-21 17.08.47.jpg

That's not a scratch on the monitor, just a cable hanging across my ceiling in the shop.

I may get a few holes drilled for buttons tonight yet.

Just playing around with some trim options, thinking about going with cherry for the trim on the top, lock bar, and faces of the back screen shroud, thought it might add some pop.

DigiPin2016.jpg

Well this thread caused me to really pause and reflect.

I was a pinball addict as an adolescent. Corner cafe (as word for convenience store) was my hangout and its pinball machine must have paid for a yacht for the Greek owner after my years spent there.

Funny how we can be when my kids used to play video games I was all over them about doing something more "constructive " with their time. I never connected the hours of wasted money and time at the Pinball with video games. Lol.

Now as a techie and pinball addict I see this is possible and yeah Darren it was close it nearly drew me in, BUT....thank goodness I have been so chased off my tail these passed few months I have had chance to think of just what would happen if I built or bought a pinball machine. That would be IT. After I may as well sell my entire woodworking shop and all my tools and any other hobby stuff. :( I am a pinball addict. So I have chosen to resist the allure of a all singing digital free pinball machine and watch your decline into the abyss. Lol.

This project to me illustrates better than anything why the USA is just so amazing.

It just keeps on giving.
Who ever would have thought to create the digital package of all the programs. Then bring back parts and make them available on the web at realistically affordable prices given the niche nature of it.
You guys need to reflect on just how this kind of thing boosts opportunity creates a micro economy within a broader economy its truly a lesson in what freedom permits.
I just keep being blown away and have nothing but admiration for not only the guys that do the creative side and make it available but even for guys like you Darren that get off their buts and build something like this.
Participation both ends is required for something like this to succeed and exist.

For me its far too dangerous to put a toe in the water.
You doing an amazing job. Love the sketch up drawing.
Just a few points in event u overlooked.
I think speakers look meh old school car back seat install type design. Could do with being brought to 2015. Lol Heck u got a CNC man.
U going to make em blue tooth stand alone if required. I would prefer my own sounds when playing. I never really got into the type of pinball as in the pinballs game theme. For me it was about scoring enough to keep getting free balls or free games then we would sell off games for cold drink money. Lol

Hey what was your price in USA for a game back in say 1971/2/3

Ours was 5 cents at a time when our 5 cent coin was worth more than 8 US cents.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I did a quick google and considering I'd have only been less that 8 months old at that date, I wasn't going to know off hand. :D

Of the two databases I'm aware of, I didn't see that they listed the coin mechs for any of them. There are pics of some of the machine fronts with mechs, but many had been updated over the years or were in Francs.

http://www.ipsnd.net/Default.aspx
http://www.ipdb.org/

BTW, that won't be the final back screen face or speakers I use for my cabinet. I've left that a blank slate as I need to make it fit some existing speakers on the monitor, as well as the screen.

I don't think I've mentioned it here, but the software is setup to accept a coin mechanism if you want to add one. I've found them for $30 - $60 for one or two coin mechs. I may add one at some point, just to make the grand kid(s) earn time on it. ;)

The last few days I've been working on the Arduino that will emulate the keyboard commands when an arcade button is pushed. I learned that not all Arduinos are the same. Only a few chipsets support the usb keyboard functions. The ones I ordered wouldn't work, luckily I had one left over from another project that will work.

Tonight I got the rest of the button holes drilled. I forgot I had moved the side buttons down about 1/2" though, so my top buttons and flipper buttons are right on top of one another. Luckily I was able to still get the switches in, all of the connections in that area are grounds, so won't have to worry too much about any shorts and it looks like I'll be able to make all the connections.
2015-12-23 15.49.18.jpg 2015-12-23 15.39.11.jpg

Next I got all my wire looms made and labeled.
2015-12-23 17.32.22.jpg

I also ordered this USB/headphone port, which is meant for car applications. I drilled a hole through the bottom of the case, so it won't be seen, but can easily plugin a keyboard or usb stick when needed from the front of the cabinet.
2015-12-23 17.46.46.jpg 2015-12-23 17.53.51.jpg 2015-12-23 17.53.59.jpg

Lastly I got the back screen cabinet pieces cut out and ready for glue. It's a little cold in the shop, so may be a few days before I can get that and the main case glued up. Trimming it all will be next.