Thread: Old Zenith

Old Zenith

Radio dial. Introducing my new avatar, just arrived from the mid 20th century, and now appearing here for the first time . There was a time this was the www, but things change and sometimes they get better. I have a small collection of old radios that we display around the house.When the kids ask what they are I enjoy explaining how they work and what the dials are for. I haven't add to the collection for years.

Bill

I am not sure if I should be admitting this, but I have listened to one of those. At least it was a very similar model anyway.

Me too Dave.

Bill, we had a large Zenith floor model. It had the first record changer that I had ever seen. For that era the tone quality was excellent. It would really be a conversation piece today.

Ah the good times that radio inspired: Little Orphan Annie, The Green Hornet, Ma Perkins, The Standard Symphony Hour, The Peter Potter Platter Parade, Amos and Andy, Jack Benny, Bing Crosby, The Shadow and a bazillion other programs over the years. I don't know how long the set lasted, before my dad gutted it for the cabinet, however the set was in daily use for many years after the end of WWII.

Enjoy it,
    JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Nice! Would love to see more pics of the collection Bill. I can remember a few like that at my grandparents house.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Before my time - but not by much. I do remember a couple of radio shows though. They may have been reruns.

I remember. We didn't own one, but many of our friends did.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    Nice! Would love to see more pics of the collection Bill. I can remember a few like that at my grandparents house.
    This is the bottom of the line Hellicrafters shortwave/ham receiver from the 50's. friend had one and we were able to here the Russian Sputnik! We could hear the " beep-beep" and the Doppler shift as it passed from horizon to horizon.

Attachment 93953

This is a curious radio made by Zenith in the 60's. This could have been an answer the to Sony Walkman. The radio hangs from a loop of wire worn around your neck the wire acts as the antenna, and there is an "ear bud". These were Christmas gifts from the sales rep to his dealers and employes (me).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	93955

There are a few more, these are not the oldest, these are the coolest. Thanks for asking, it's a joy to share the old things.

Bill
    Last edited by william watts; 12-27-2015 at 05:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by william watts View Post
    This is the bottom of the line Hellicrafters shortwave/ham receiver from the 50's. friend had one and we were able to here the Russian Sputnik! We could hear the " beep-beep" and the Doppler shift as it passed from horizon to horizon.

Attachment 93953

This is a curious radio made by Zenith in the 60's. This could have been an answer the to Sony Walkman. The radio hangs from a loop of wire worn around your neck the wire acts as the antenna, and there is an "ear bud". These were Christmas gifts from the sales rep to his dealers and employes (me).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	93955
    Bill

Thanks for asking, it's a joy to share the old things.

Bill
    Thanks for sharing Bill. Though very exciting to hear something from space, I bet it was a bit scary to think about also. That little Zenith was incredibly small for the time wasn't it?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    Thanks for sharing Bill. Though very exciting to hear something from space, I bet it was a bit scary to think about also. That little Zenith was incredibly small for the time wasn't it?
    Exciting, yes, scary not so much. More amazement at the technology the Russians demonstrated. There was "duck and cover " practice in our school system. That was scary.

I had forgotten how small that little radio was until I got it out to take the photo. Sorry for the goofy links to the pictures, The only excuse I have is I am using my wife's iPad, since I spilled coffee on my Mac lap top. A friend says he can fix it, we'll see.

Bill
    Last edited by william watts; 01-01-2016 at 10:09 PM.