Thread: SKETCHUP Quick Dovetails

SKETCHUP Quick Dovetails

Here is a video tutorial demonstrating a way to quickly draw joinery for the corners of a box. I used dovetails but this could be used for any other joinery technique as well. It could also be used in other applications where you need a mirror image of a detail at the opposite end of a piece. This method is basically leveraging the power of components and the mirror function of the Scale tool. I show how I draw dovetails but that's not really the point of the video.

http://www.brightcove.com/title.jsp?title=855969571
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

Now THIS is the way to learn sketchup ... holy cow.

The video format is absolutely amazing, Dave. I sure hope it isn't a nightmare for you to make them. Because i'd really love to see more of these. I never really gave the "Follow-me" tool much thought, but after watching that video i'm hooked. What an easy way to make fancy lookin' stuff.

I'm saving every single one of these types of things you post because I know my shop will be back in order and I'll be needing more sketchup stuff very very soon

As always, thanks for the incredible lessons!

Edit: And oh yeah!! I never would have thought to use the mirror feature ... WAY faster than trying to duplicate the same thing on both ends. it seems so obvious now that i've seen it... the elegance of simplicity, genius!!
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Beam View Post
    Now THIS is the way to learn sketchup ... holy cow.

The video format is absolutely amazing, Dave. I sure hope it isn't a nightmare for you to make them. Because i'd really love to see more of these. I never really gave the "Follow-me" tool much thought, but after watching that video i'm hooked. What an easy way to make fancy lookin' stuff.

I'm saving every single one of these types of things you post because I know my shop will be back in order and I'll be needing more sketchup stuff very very soon

As always, thanks for the incredible lessons!

Edit: And oh yeah!! I never would have thought to use the mirror feature ... WAY faster than trying to duplicate the same thing on both ends. it seems so obvious now that i've seen it... the elegance of simplicity, genius!!
    Ditto Jason, your complements are right on...Thanks Dave
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Bookmarked for sure, Dave. I used the mirror function one time (follow one of your earlier write-ups on SMC), then prompty forgot how I did it. These tutorials are fantastic. Many thanks!
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Most excellent Dave

Thanks very much! You make it look so easy... mirror eh?

Also, the video quality was perfect
    --------------
    Cheers! - Jim

Thumbs up

Thanks Dave...this is a keeper!
    Got Wood?

WOW thanks again

that was fantastic dave i too will be lookin for naother vidioe gotta g onow but i am sure glad i stayed up to see this once again thanks dave.. you could sell them to us dummy's
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Thanks Dave. Very informative demo. I was suprised that I had used the 1/2 copy on picture frame parts and it was nice to see the method validated.

Keith