Thread: Saw Fish

Saw Fish

I came across an interesting story on the FWW site (three quarters of the way down, 4 April 2007 story).

It's about a submersible logging machine developed on Vancouver Island (where I live). Apparently there are vast forests underwater that contain billions of feet of pristine lumber
    (I've geard about this before...)

It sounds like the environmentalists are on board with the idea according to this video from Fox. The Saw Fish web site is here.

I figured some of you may find this interesting.
    --------------
    Cheers! - Jim

Yep, interesting. However, living in an area that depends heavily on recreational fishing for it's economy, I have to wonder what this harvesting does to the fish habitat. Our lakes are man made and we know the fish depend heavily on submerged trees for nesting cover and food.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Yep, interesting. However, living in an area that depends heavily on recreational fishing for it's economy, I have to wonder what this harvesting does to the fish habitat. Our lakes are man made and we know the fish depend heavily on submerged trees for nesting cover and food.
    Yeah I wondered about that aspect myself Frank.
    Maybe it could be limited to certain depths etc. where fish don't spawn or hang out

Some of that wood we'll never see the likes of ever again... virgin timber, old growth hard woods and the like. The cold oxygen depleted water has preserved the trees and logs for hundreds of years in some cases
    --------------
    Cheers! - Jim