Machine Legs

Leo Voisine

I am getting the new machine on line.

Through the long Christmas holiday weekend I was getting the rotary axis up to usable speed.

I have a job for it.

My Table saw is about 36 inches. My workbench is about 36 inches. The CNC machine in the middle between them is about 8" lower. I want the CNC to serve as an outfeed table for the table saw. Also the table saw to serve as an outfeed or "throughfeed" table for the CNC machine.

SOOOO - I need to raise the machine so the top's will all line up. The legs are all 6" square steel tubing.

I plan to make these legs to fit into the square tubing and raise the CNC to the height I need. I think I am going to make the diameter a bit bigger. Right now they are about 6.5 I can go up to 8" on the rotary.

Hey, I "could" just block up the machine - but why?

I think this will be a good practice run for the rotary.

Machine Legs.jpg

They again - maybe a Raptor instead of a shell.

Uh.....cinder blocks??? Works for the old car in the front yard for a lot of folks!!!!! :thumb:

:eek: they have a bad habit of crumbling at inopportune moments.

Besides Leo's design is way shinier... the only real problem I see is a lack of adjust-ability.. which may be ok if everything is sufficiently flat and plannable (but that's never the case in my shop hence the dubiousness).

I like the looks of them. I'm a little concerned the weight of the machine will split the piece where it rests on the top where it goes from square to round and end up being corks in the tubes. Now if you're using layered plywood or something then that might not be such a concern.

I like the looks of them. I'm a little concerned the weight of the machine will split the piece where it rests on the top where it goes from square to round and end up being corks in the tubes. Now if you're using layered plywood or something then that might not be such a concern.

Thats what i was thinking. The only thing the machine is resting on is that round edge. Think the diameter needs to be substantially bigger at present looks to me like you would be getting very little support benefit from the whole piece with the machine resting just on that edge.

Yeah - that's why I said I would go bigger.

I am also thinking of making a 3/16 thick flat aluminum washer to fit between the machine and the wooden leg.

This is a temporary thing. I want the machine on wheels, but good wheels are very expensive and my hobby account is currently "empty"

The washer might work, or even adding some banding around the round part, like a barrel would have to keep the wood stable. I'm surprised you didn't go with some osprey claws or something related to the name. ;)

Yeah - I gotta get rid of the shell.

We are having a family gathering this weekend, so after that I need to get back into remodeling the kitchen.

I will also get these legs done because I really need the machines (table saw and CNC Router) for the remodel.